Chinese-Forums

"All or nothing"

Xuebao

having no middle position or compromise available, similar ones are :

a. 不当“墙头草”  don't be grass growing on the top of the wall, which will go where the wind goes.

b. 不做“骑墙派” don't ride the wall

c. 不要“首鼠两端” don't be the mouse coming out its hole, one step ahead, one step back.

d. 不能“心猿意马”  don't make yourself in the status of apes in heart while horse in mind(unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied)

It would depend on the context. When I see "All or nothing" the kind of expressions that come to my mind are:

豁出去

不顧一切

放手一搏

一不做,二不休

If you are wanting to say something to the effect of 'let's do this!', then 放手一搏 ought to fit the bill.

In the translation of The Prince, "aut Caesar aut nihil" was rendered as "不為凱撒,寧為虛無". It's far from being as common as "all or nothing" or "aut Caesar aut nihil" are, because it's too direct a translation, but it certainly is what is the closest to the meaning. It is also very culturally loaded, and I mean not loaded with Chinese culture but western culture, which makes it a bad choice if you want something "Chinese".

All this to say that Pingfa's suggestions seem the best to me. I'm particularly partial to 不顧一切 and 放手一搏.