Chinese-Forums

Master of Laws in China

kikko78

Hello.. i have been admitted to a master of law in chiense law at the Tsinghua University in Beijing. The master is taught in english..

anyone knows anything about this master??

what do u think about the crazy idea of going to chian to study chinese law?? would it be useful or just a loose of time and money??

This master is for foreigners and it cost a bomb (18.000 $).. i know tsinghua is a very good university and the teachig stuff looks very qualifyed..

There is another chiense university that organize a master of laws taugh in english..and it's in shanghay..but it last for 3 years and i thik it's too long for me..

Also Hong Kong has a couples of universityes teaching LLM in chiense law in english...

where do u think it would be the best to study?? Beijng or hong Kong??

Hello.. i have been admitted to a master of law in chiense law at the Tsinghua University in Beijing. The master is taught in english..

Shouldn't you know something about the program since you've already been admitted? What's your background? What're your goals with an LLM?

I know everything about the program, but since i haven't start it yet.. i donno how it will be..

I only know that tsinghua is supposed to be a good university.

i didn't ask "how is the programm", i asked if anyone heard of this program and knows it's reputation...

And i asked what do u think about the idea of studing chiense law in china...

Your replay is useless.

What an attitude! According to its website, it's the first year Tsinghua has had the English language LLM program, so it doesn't have a reputation, yet. Without some info on your background, there's no way to advise you. For example, if you said your goal is to work in the US, I'd advise you to get a JD or an LLM in the US rather than China. If your goal is to work in China (including HK), then this US$18000 tuition would be more justifiable, though in that case, you'd be better off spending the money on China language instruction, instead, and read about Chinese law on your own.

i am alreadu JD, other wise i hardely could attend an LLM in law...

And i will be working in europe and my goal owuld be to assist companyies who want to invest in china or have relations with china.. and chiense companyes who want to invest in europe..

I've a friend who has just completed a year attending law classes (taught in Chinese) as a visiting student at the Beijing university law school. Beijing university has the (purportedly) top ranked law school in China, and my friend was generally happy with the quality of teaching.

I've also been taking classes at Beijing University (but not with the law faculty), and from my experience, taking classes taught in English is a somewhat painful and unsatisfactory experience, as the level of spoken English proficiency among Chinese lecturers is generally low.

However, these are comments based on my experience at Beijing University; I've no idea what the specific circumstances at Qinghua law school are like. Fyi, according to the following ranking, Qinghua was the 6th ranked law school in China in 2005: http://learning.sohu.com/20050517/n225594751.shtml

what do u think about the crazy idea of going to chian to study chinese law?? would it be useful or just a loose of time and money??

This master is for foreigners and it cost a bomb (18.000 $).. i know tsinghua is a very good university and the teachig stuff looks very qualifyed..

There is another chiense university that organize a master of laws taugh in english..and it's in shanghay..but it last for 3 years and i thik it's too long for me..

Also Hong Kong has a couples of universityes teaching LLM in chiense law in english...

where do u think it would be the best to study?? Beijng or hong Kong??

I would expect Tsinghua to be similar to Beijing University. I think, at this point, it doesn't make much sense to study academic subject in China in a language other than Chinese for the reason the previous poster raised. That should be particular true if one wanted to study Chinese law. It would like studying Chinese literature in English. You'd get at best a second-hand experience. Charging US$18000 per year for the program is just astounding. How much are they paying their instructors? An average urban Chinese worker's salary is only about US$100 per month right now.

Kikko78,

A suggestion: Why not consider visiting Qinghua, and have the school arrange for you to meet the faculty teaching the courses? Or at least, speak to the faculty over the phone? If the school can't or won't arrange for this, that also tells you something.

Hi

thanks for your posts.

The teahing stuff looks quit good.. all of them has at least a Master in the Usae or england or even more countrys.. so i guess their english will be enough good..

Abyt learig chinese law in english and not in chiense. i can't really see what's the problem.. if u want to have business with chine u need to know hot things workd like, doesn't matter if it's in english or in chiense.. and anyway the business langiuare it's english in china too.. and interatioanl contracts are in english, normally, so i don't see the problem..

i am notplanning on being a lawyer in china.. there chiense lawyers for that... i only wonna know how the chiense legal sysrtems works like and how to invest in china,,