Chinese-Forums

Job In Beijing ?

Eddys

• New Members

Hi everyone !

I want to come in Beijing for studies, and i would like to have a simple job to earn some money too...in any small shop when they need somebody who speaks english (a restaurant for exemple...)

What is the salary for a foreign student (like 20 hours by week) in this kind of shop ?

Thanks for helping !

See you !

Unless you also speak Chinese to a decent level, it might be unlikely you'd find work in a "small shop" or something.

If you're a native speaker or have near native English you might find work as an English teacher. Other part time work for students includes transcribing (listen to someone speaking and type up what they say). The Beijinger sometimes has part time cash in hand work too like voice recording etc for speech recognition.

It's illegal for students to work unless you're in an internship.  China isn't like the European countries you're used to.  If you want to work illegally, try to find something that Chinese people can't do. 

I thought they'd changed that when they brought in the two types of X visa? I was under the impression that now you can do paid work for under 15 hours as a student. However, you need permission from the school you're at.

• New Members

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

ChTTay you're right now we can work a few hours if the school is ok with that.

If I asked my question it's because a new restaurant asked me to join the crew a few hours by week...but I really don't know how much I can be payed for that....

English teaching is the main "casual" job available for foreigners in China. Working in a shop/restaurant would be difficult if you dont speak Chinese (except certain expat areas in Shanghai, where they actually have staff that does not speak Chinese, which I find offensive, but anyways they do) and it will not pay very much.

The law on part time job for students has changed but not all cities have started implementing it .. Since you are in Beijing, there's already the procedure in place.. First apply at the university then the exit bureau..

INTERNSHIP only mean you should not get paid salary. Dont think of it as the academic internship where you need to work at a place related to your major.

You can get paid in terms of meal cost, travel cost.. I dont think there's any limit on this. Most probably you'll be receiving in cash, so i dont see any problem.