Chinese-Forums

Formality of business or academia.

murrayspeaks

You'll find that people's dress is relatively more casual. If you are visiting them you'll likely be invited out to lunch/dinner, which involves toasting customs different from what you've seen in the west (sip your beverage only when toasting or being toasted). If you are dining in a private room (common in many Chinese restaurants) they will likely make a fuss about putting you in the seat of honor next to the host. I wouldn't call it more formal exactly, just different. Nobody will get angry if you mess something up because you're a foreigner (they may assume you don't even know how to use chopsticks, for example).  Many many books have been written on Chinese business etiquette. Reading one is worth the time if you want to give a good impression.

murrayspeaks,

I'm just curious about the rationale behind all of these seemingly random, disconnected questions that you have been posting on the forums as of late.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

From one of his earlier posts, he's writing a science fiction novel, and China plays a central part.

​I'm actually considering merging them all in to a single thread, so as to provide context for people reading them.

• Like 2

I have been following murrayspeaks's topics and even joining in one topic.

I find myself torn between wanting to congratulate murrayspeaks for wanting to write a sci-fi book about China in the future and wanting to say "write what you know about" but not sure how to reconcile this with books written about the future which are by their very nature are unknown to everyone.

I wonder how the famous sci-fi writers managed this.

• Like 1

Yes, there was the time I showed up at Beijing North, as it was years ago, for my overnight train to Chifeng. I didn't even look at the ticket, it seemed so obvious. Of course, the train actually left from Beijing South, as it was years ago, then a wonderful relic of 1950s China.

Point is, China has its own sense of geography.