Chinese-Forums

Getting "illegal" money back to the US

TCcookie

Hello all.

I finally broke down and am going to try my luck teaching English in Beijing for a month and a half at a summer camp. The arrangement was made through an apparently non-profit organization called Sinolink .

My financial ability to pay for this venture hinges on my being able to turn my earnings (advertised at equivalent of $9 per hour, about 72 RMB--seems high, doesn't it?) into dollars to pay for airfare, which is initially on a credit card. There are a couple complications, however, and I am wondering what my options are.

First of all, I am going on a tourist visa. I know it is technically illegal to work on a tourist visa. Sinolink knows this, so I assume they either have something worked out behind the scenes with the hiring organization or else that no one will really look into this because of the short time I will be there or for some other reason(s). Is this a bad assumption? Should I worry?

The main problem is that I plan to spend considerably less money than I make (housing is provided). I will of course keep my ATM receipts, but these will not account for the large wad of cash that I need turned into American dollars to pay for my trip. I had the idea that the easiest thing might be just to deposit it all in a Chinese bank account and then write myself a check to cash at my bank at home. Is that doable? Can I open an account easily or at all with a tourist visa? What are my other options? I've read of currency conversion limits written into real workers' contracts. How will that apply to me, particularly if I am paid under the table?

Thanks for all help and insight.

so I assume they either have something worked out behind the scenes with the hiring organization or else that no one will really look into this because of the short time I will be there or for some other reason(s).

I don't think working on a tourist visa for this short amount of time will run you into any problems. Don't quote me though. :wink:

I've read of currency conversion limits written into real workers' contracts. How will that apply to me, particularly if I am paid under the table?

To legally exchange RMB into dollars, you should be working legally and be able to show the Bank of China your contract and reciepts that prove that you paid taxes. It's all quite a pain in the ass. The BOC has horrible service in my opinion too. If you find another way to get your RMB into dollars, let me know!

One easy way might be to route your return flight through Hong Kong. In Hong Kong you can easily convert RMB.

I've been in Beijing 6 weeks now and have met a few English teachers. Honestly I think you would be better off just coming to Beijing and getting a teaching job here on your own. They are not difficult to come by. You just might find yourself earning quite a bit more than nine dollars an hour. And you will be able to repatriate at least a portion of it. Sorry I can't offer you more specifics, but I'm sure that if you show up and check into any decent youth hostel and start asking around you'll soon figure it out.

If you ask around you can often find someone willing to change RMB for US$ - some people working here get paid in US$ and need RMB, for instance. There are also black-market money changers who often hang outside major banks.

Couple of notes on the job - 72RMB per hour is peanuts. You should be able to get 100-150Y per hour without even trying.

Sinolink may well be a non-profit organisation, but what about the summer camp they are sending you to - I'd be very suprised if that isn't charging the students hefty fees and making a corresponding profit - that's business, but be aware of what you are getting into. Opportunities that look like 'Volunteer to teach and learn about a different culture' are often 'Work for us, cheap!' Working on a tourist visa is widespread, especially in the summer, and you are unlikely to have any trouble.

Roddy

I've changed money outside the bank at perfectly good rates on the "black market". I had the help of a Chinese friend but, frankly, seeing the way it works, I would also be prepared to do it on my own, in extremis.

Anecdotal evidence that I've heard tells me that this is simply a better option than trying to go through the legal process (which I was actually entitled to do with my foreign expert card).

But it's always going to be your call. Just know that this is eminently possible.

Thank you all for the great replies. I really appreciate the advice.

Couple of notes on the job - 72RMB per hour is peanuts. You should be able to get 100-150Y per hour without even trying.

Well, (unfortunately, perhaps?) I am already scheduled to go through this organization. However, the only agreement I signed basically said that everything is between me and the school now, so, as I understand it, specific teaching and payment arrangements are not set in stone (though I don't know what the organization has been telling the school--I'm calling about that today). Despite the organization's lining me up, could I then confidently go in asking for 100-150Y?

I don't mind negotiating, but it kind of scares me because it's my first time over there--with limited Chinese--and because I only have a certain window of time over there. I think it would be bad form and unfairly reflect badly on Sinolink (when I signed their agreement) if I just walked off and went somewhere else, but would that be a possibility I could fall back on (not that I would, understand--but just for more confidence in my ability to negotiate a fair wage)?

Thanks again.

If there are precedents in place, it's maybe not worth rocking that boat for a month or so of extra money - I think it depends how strongly you feel about it.

I am always suspicious about any organisation supplying teachers to China that claim to be 'non-profit' or use words like 'volunteer'. Many, if not all, of the schools (and even more so with summer camps) they supply teachers to will be making profit - find out what the students pay in fees and do some back-of-the-envelope maths.

Roddy

Couldn't agree with Roddy more.

There are virtually no non-profit or voluntary organisation who recruit foreign teachers. The only ones that do exist are those who have direct ties with orphanages or handicapped kids (very few in number) and most of these are also profitable organisations. These organisations are unlikely to want you for teaching (couldn't care of you are a foreigner or local), but for day to day operational support.

The school you will be working for will be charging students hefty fees for the privilage of having a foreign teacher.

Being able to ask the school - the school may not know of your situation. They will be paying either the agency a fee or commission, or the agency the whole salary to pass on the salary to you. They will be only interest in their bottom line and not if you have been ripped off.

Asking the agency.for an increase ...good luck particularly since you have signed a pseudo-contract with them. You signed the contract based on the 75RMB per hour...this is all they probably will be willing to offer.

It is likely that for the summer school, 150RMB for beijing would be a minimum (I would not work for less).

Actually, the agency does not handle the payment. In fact, the agreement specifies that all payment issues are between the school and the teacher after the agreement is signed. The agreement does specify the $9 per hour rate, but since I will be going through the school, might it be worth trying to get it raised, or would the school refuse outright to raise the rate because it had a prior agreement with the organization? The agreement I signed was only between me and the organization, so I don't know how much the $9 rate listed there would bind the school itself. If I did try to get the rate raised, would the extra money be worth the potential ill-feeling it might cause, or am I worrying too much?

I wouldn't think you are going to make any friends trying to negotiate an already signed agreement, and for such a short period of time it might not be worth it. If this is your first trip to China and you are happy with the agreed amount, you might just want to put it down to experience and enjoy your time.

Roddy

I do not live in China so really I have no idea what it is like finding work out there but the 72 RMB does include housing, if you are going for a month and half you will have to pay for a hotel and lose 1-2 weeks (a guess) finding a job that might only be part-time. You might be financially better off staying with what you have got.

Also on a summer camp you will work and live with Chinese people (although I guess a lot of the teachers will be westerners), if you go it alone you may well spend your month alone and not practise your Chinese as much as you would want.

When I was a student I went to work on an US summer camp and was paid very little. The experience I had working and living with Americains and discovering their culture (a lot different from Europe) made it worth it.