Chinese-Forums

Bookstore in Beijing with New Practical Chinese Reader series?

Balthazar

This may not be correct place for this thread, but I was wondering whether anyone knows if the NPCR-series is readily available at most bookstores in Beijing? I will spend three days in the city in June, and would like to pick up books 5+6 as well as the accompanying CDs (which are really expensive at Amazon).

I assume the BLCU bookstore will have all of the books and supporting materials, but from what I understand it's a bit of a trek to get there. Does anyone know if the bookstores at Wangfujing street sell these books and CDs?

Thanks!

Go to the Wangfujing bookstore and I think the 3rd floor. There are actually two bookstores - one is for foreign languages and it is not that one. So be careful.

I went to the Wangfujing bookstore in December and it is really easy to get. They have many books for learning Chinese and you will be spoilt for choice. The main problem will be what books to buy because you cannot buy everything!

Although books in China are usually quite inexpensive, the ones on learning Chinese by BLCU press are at their usual price. I picked up a 发展汉语 listening comprehension - they have many books in the series and I wanted to buy all the listening comprehension components. I bought this book because it was used by one of the forum members on their University course (I think Xiamen University). However, it would have just too heavy to carry all on the flight.

I also picked up NCPR 3 but still yet to open it. I didn't notice the new edition of NCPR on the shelves. Nor did I notice if there were any CDs for 5&6. When you go, tell them the ISBN number of your item and one of the assistants can look it up on the computer.

王府井书店 is very close to 小吃街。 I loved soaking up atmosphere, one is very local and the other is a bit touristy. It was fine for me for my first visit.

• Like 1

It might be worth seeing if Amazon.cn has them - you can probably have them delivered to a hotel or hostel. But the Wangfujing bookstore is well worth a browse and you'll likely see lots of extra stuff to buy. The foreign languages one, further north, also has plenty of Chinese learning stuff. 

• Like 1

Both bookshops mentioned have the full NPCR series in ( as of last week when I was in there ) its the 2nd edition. they also both had the 3rd edition in but at the moment there is only book one and the companion reader. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot to all! I didn't even think about the possibility of using Amazon.cn, but I see that they have books 5 and 6 for a fraction of the price on Amazon.com. Might go for that option if I'm pressed for time (we will be staying at my wife's parents' after our Beijing visit, so delivery will not be an issue), if not I'll try to visit some of these stores just for the browsing experience :)