Chinese-Forums

General chinese TV question.

Lumbering Ox

On Omni TV they show some foreign shows with English subtitles.

I have learned that Indian tv shows are pretty bad, not so much the story line but the overtly dramatic way they are shot. To see them is to know what I mean. Lately they started showing some Korean stuff, Boys over Flowers which although its demographic is much younger than I am was actually pretty good and the show I am watching My Husband Got a Family which is right up there with Yes Minister BBC, The Good Life BBC, and The Big Bang Theory as being smashing good fun. Every episode just gives me the giggles.

They currently show the Legend of Mi Yue but no subtitles so I have no idea what it is like.

I am just wondering how good are Chinese TV shows, comedies, dramas etc. I know the Korean stuff seems to get the love and from what little I've seen I now know why. Indian shows don't seem to have the popularity that Bollywood, which I like, has and I can see why. I've checked out a few and I swear by the many arms of Vishnu that I find them all unwatchable unless I was trying to learn Hindi.

Where do the C Dramas and the like stand in all this. I find the movies are all right, at least the better ones.

Most Chinese TV is pretty bad. The acting, the camera work, the way the story is structured etc. are all not very good. I believe my Chinese would be much better if the TV was better. 

Korean dramas are much better.

Most of the Chinese content on Omni is pretty awful. I actually feel like The Legend of Mi Yue is not that bad though, you have to remember that almost all soap operas are "bad", if you're in Canada maybe you remember shows like Days of Our Lives and Passions and that kind of show haha. At least C Drama is mildly historical sometimes.

Frankly most TV is bad...

Agreed. I almost never watch TV. I have rented apartments for years, and never knew whether the TV even worked because I had never switched it on.

Most of the Chinese content on Omni is pretty awful. I actually feel like The Legend of Mi Yue is not that bad though, you have to remember that almost all soap operas are "bad", if you're in Canada maybe you remember shows like Days of Our Lives and Passions and that kind of show haha. At least C Drama is mildly historical sometimes.

Well the 2 K-dramas are pretty much blowing my mind in a positive way. I quite enjoyed watching Willow the Vampire Slayers Best Friend with Alyson Hannigan and some random people, which was pretty soapish although I couldn't stand the emoish love angles it did have other strengths.

Actual soaps are pretty bad. I used to watch them a long time ago once in a while with the maternal unit and it seems they went from meh to just plain stupid.

I find the same thing about historical C movies. I want to like them. I like history, I like the settings. Some of them are alight but for some reason a lot of them just seem confusing and to not go anywhere plot wise. Maybe you need cultural knowledge or maybe they are that bad.

Where do J Dramas land on the K to C to Hindi continuum from good to horrible.

Jeez, I hope I can find a few shows to watch for listening practice if/when the time comes. I suppose there is always that half hour Mando news programme and that date with luyu show. It is nice just be able to watch something on TV.

I agree with the statement that most chinese TV is awful. However, there are some gems.

I watched couple of episodes of the Legend of Mi Yue, and hated every minute of it.

Below are some TV shows I enjoyed, in no particular order: 

Three Dads - 三个奶爸 (Really enjoyed this comedy)

Nirvana in Fire - 琅琊榜

Good time - 大好时光

Three Kingdoms - 三国 (the 2010 version)

My Sunshine - 何以笙箫默;

Love Me, If You Dare - 他来了请闭眼

Police Dog Brother - 警犬巴打