Chinese-Forums

List of some linguistic words

Lu

The only place I could find references to 既事式 was in a paper about PTB, where it is used to mean perfective aspect multiple times. Lots of terminology overlap in Linguistics as people like to make up their own words all the time. I could speculate that in the context I saw it, it was not talking about the perfect form of a verb but rather the perfective aspect being used to nominalise a verb (I didn't really read so much as CTRL+F so I don't know what it was about).

藏语动词有既事式和 现在式、 将来式之分 也有完成体和未完成体的不同。 其中既事式和完成体采用相同的语音 形式。 根据张济川先生 的研究 藏语本来也只有未完成体和完成体的对立 而时 式是在未完成体和完成体对立的基础上再发展起来的。 梅祖麟先生 虽然认为上古 汉语动词派生名词的后缀 一比名词派生动词的 一 后缀历史要早 但通过对藏语名词后缀一 来源的分析 也似乎认为上古汉语的名词后缀 一 跟动词完成体有关。 梅祖麟先生对此并未肯 定 只是说 “ 也许跟藏语既事式的一 有关” 。 不过 梅祖麟先生只为解决这一 问题提供了一个 方向 认为有待于将来汉藏语的比较研究。

http://pdf.d.cnki.net/cjfdsearch/pdfdownloadnew.asp?encode=gb&nettype=cnet&zt=F084&filename=XbqNEWzM0cYF0ZMdGeYpGO5oHZPtCcPB1SNNzcGlHcDVTeXNXYZZmVzVkc652Q6hnaKJWbwVDR3xGbS5EdzZVeINlaNdHWNFUVI1US3FHdsVFS=0TUmtWNLR3SUtiQQJWNONWTONGa3dnNGhDetR3MRJ0NE9COS50VPJEZ0gkMUdUVRtid2gFdOVEbRFDczkFWOlXOyVTQrgDVhV2TlZjW6FldVN&doi=CNKI:SUN:MZYW.0.2005-02-001&filetitle=%BA%BA%B2%D8%D3%EF%B5%C4%CD%EA%B3%C9%CC%E5%BA%F3%D7%BA_s&p=cjfq&cflag=&pager=3-8

In the English literature it looks like there's quite a precedent for just conflating 既事式 and 完成體 and calling it the perfective, not sure why, but I don't care to tease out the controversy.

Edit: Or rather, not necessarily conflating the concepts, but just referring to the thing that is being referred to by 既事式 as "perfective", as in the verb stems being any mix of {present, perfective, future, imperative} or {present-future, perfective, imperative}. Sounds like a bit of a hornet's nest to me, but I think if the article that Lu translated relates to Tibetan, then translating that as perfective certainly isn't going to be wrong.

Tibetan... The paper I was talking about first though was written by a Chinese person, in English, with the word 既事式 in brackets after the word "perfective", and then there are a bunch of papers written in English by non-Chinese people where the thing they are talking about is the same thing, but they are calling it the perfective verb stem. Does Mandarin have something commonly referred to as 既事式?

So I was curious about the tones. In spoken language it's just 一聲,二聲,三聲,四聲 and 輕聲 for neutral tone. In 文言文 the first tone and second tone are both 平聲, the first is 陰平 and the second is 陽平. The third tone is 上聲 (shang3sheng1) and the fourth is 去聲.

完成體 does not indicate perfective aspect, but rather it refers to the perfect tense "construction". Most commonly used in discussions of the set of English verb constructions. I have seen it classified under a 时态 usually, viz 完成时态, also simply 完成时 (this I have come across especially in discussions of Latin morphology conducted in Chinese)

Chen Decong, Angelina: the article was on tone change in Chinese through history. Tibetan was mentioned, but not expanded on.

The stuff I skimmed said that the perfective suffix may have actually been responsible for certain tone shifts :) I wonder if the translation you did will show up in my uni database!