Chinese-Forums

Ending an Email with Best Regards.

Martin Winterbottom

• New Members
Martin Winterbottom

Dear Chinese Forums,

Hope you can help as I am having great difficulties in ending my emails.

I wish to add either Best Wishes or Best Regards at the end of my emails to my Chinese clients.

I normally communicate in English but thought it would be respectful to add a nice finish to the end of my emails.

What would you recommend that I can use?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

My Kindest Regards,

Martin Winterbottom.

• 1 month later...

I always use 祝好, but I've literally never seen another Chinese person use it in email correspondence to me. Why? Because Chinese people seem to rarely bother to sign emails. Sensible, when you think about it - the signoff part is pretty much just a meaningless pleasantry anyway.

My experience is the same as Demonic Duck's: I use 祝好 or a seasonal greeting, Chinese usually use nothing. Good for them. I don't quite dare do it, so I just continue with the 祝好.

I personally end my emails with “祝好” when writing to my friends. It shows my respect to others even though some Chinese don't bother to write something like that.

If you want to end your email with some alternatives when writing business emails, I think it might be better to write “祝一切顺利”, which means "I hope everything (business included) is going smooth with you."

By the way, you can even use "致以诚挚的问候". This is actually the literal translation of "My Kindest Regards." As a Chinese, I find it pretty nice though a bit too formal.

• Like 1

One of my friends, an old-fashioned older man, always does this:

Last line of the text. [about four spaces] 祝

安康[    about 35 spaces     ] [name]  [date as mm/dd]

or 

Last line of the text. [about four spaces] 祝
安康  快樂 [    about 35 spaces     ] [name]  [date as mm/dd]

There's some customary reason for splitting the 祝安康 that I don't remember (probably something about avoiding bad luck), but I certainly imitate this when I reply to him.