Chinese-Forums

Dilemma: Where to live/work? China or U.S?

Sylvia

Hello everyone!

I need some urgent advise! My husband just got offered a job in China a week ago. I am a tenured teacher in the States who had signed a yearly contract with my school in May saying that I will start teaching again starting August. My dilemma is that I only have this July to decide where to live and work for this upcoming year, possibly longer. What should I do? Stay behind in the States while my husband tests the water in China and sees if the job the Chinese company promised actually delivers or leave immediatly in August with him? Should I give up my secure teaching job right away? Or should I stay behind in the States and see if everything works out with my husband's job? I could stay anywhere from 2 months up to a year but as you can predict it is incredibly hard on a relationship to be apart for any length of time. Even if I stay behind, say 2 months, and decide to quit, my school can hold me liable to keep my year contract and force me to stay or tarnish my teaching credential, which would no longer make me a crediantialed teacher. Or if I quit now, my husband and I can be together right off the bat in China but risk being a mercy at his new job. It would be incredibly sad if they break all their promises made to him, especially since they have yet to mail him a formal contract or give him a working visa! Please give me some input! I feel extremely happy at times at this opportunity to live in China and at the same time torn because of the risk involved. Help me make a decision fast!!!!!!!! :help

You know, this is pretty much like asking an investment banker whether he would recommend you stocks or bonds. He won't be able to give you an answer, because it depends on how much payoff you want, up to what level of risk.

What you need to do is ask yourself whether the prospect of living in China would be satisfying enough to cover for the possibility of a disappointing job, or none at all...

I am afraid that nobody here will be able to make that decision for you, so I can only wish you the best of luck with your choice!

What should I do? Stay behind in the States while my husband tests the water in China and sees if the job the Chinese company promised actually delivers or leave immediatly in August with him?
Staying with your teaching job while your husband test the job in China seems to be the least risky option to me. What's the downside of this (aside from being apart for a year)?

I'd say, come to China. If you have tenure, assuming things don't work out well in China, can't you always come back to teach in the US?

If you decide to go with your husband, as a certified American teacher, I'm sure you can easily get a good job paying 5,000-15,000RMB, depending on the city. In case your husband's Chinese company doesn't work out, which could happen, he could always rely on your salary. That way you can be together, which is better for your relationship and you can experience something new together.

All of this is assuming that your current school will be ok with you going to China right now.

Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have decided to ask for a leave of absence at my job. I was lucky enough to get it since I have asked for one before!!! Horray, horray!!!!

Now I will be leaving for China with my husband and start off a whole new adventure.....

Thank you for all your 2 cents worth of ideas!!!!