Chinese-Forums

guzheng!

taobenli

I posted a message a few months ago here because I was interested in learning how to play the erhu. I have always loved the sound of it and since I have studied the viola and violin don't feel like the mechanics would be that difficult for me to master. I still want to learn, and people have helpfully told me of a teacher in the greater Seattle area (I am actually in Seoul now, but will be returning to Seattle in September). But because I'm a too-busy grad student it's hard to find the time and motivation. However, I just found out that this year they are giving guzheng classes in the University of Washington's ethnomusicology department for a minimal fee for students. How cool! I am thinking of signing up but will probably need to buy a guzheng. I will be in Yanbian in September and could buy one then.

So, how much does a decent guzheng cost? What do I need to know while shopping for one? Any fans of the guzheng out there?

Thanks,

taobenli

A few months ago, I went to a guzheng recital, mostly of children. I think most of the students would go to the music school to practice, because they didn't have an instrument of their own. You could probably do something like that, but then how could you show off to your friends?

It looks like the price is about US$100-1000

http://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/ac?cat=2092077888&p=%A5j%BA%E5

She only took less than one and half year to get the highest level, 10 of amateur.

And to learn it well, she bought two Guzheng (instrument), one was cheaper and the next one was a little bit expensive.

She had a private teacher and every time she paid 50 yuan.