Chinese-Forums

缘份

大肚子

缘份 (yuan2 fen4) is a concept that fascinates me. For me it seems to be somewhere between coincidence and fate, but with an interpersonal element (as in 我们 有 缘份) lacking in the English terms. To be honest I feel that I only have a vague grasp of the concept. There also seems to be a huge gap between 缘份 the abstract concept and 缘份 in daily use. Does anyone here feel they understand this concept and can explain it readily in English?

You are right it is very difficult to translate into English. I think you have to have a bit of a Zen attitude about it. i.e. understanding something means going beyond words. As long as you can understand it in your own mind then expressing it as words is not important.

QFE. This is the best possible answer. I have had many discussions about this and I have accepted this as the way to deal with it. But there are a lot of languages and ideas that can't be accurately represented through translation, such as gemutlich from German.

緣份 comes from Buddhism. Most people only know the concept of 因果(cause and consequence). But between 因 and 果,there is 緣, 因+緣=果。 因 in sanskrit is Hetu, the primary cause, 緣 Pratyaya, is the secondary condition or conditions pre-existing allowing primary causes to function.