Chinese-Forums

FAKE> China bans interracial marriages for females (from 2018, no plans to restrict men)

onebir

:shock:

http://www.eastasiatribune.com/north-asia/china-bans-interracial-marriages-for-females-no-plans-to-restrict-men/

AFAIK this would make China the only Asian country with such a law; Cambodia has some restrictions but these appear to be for the benefit of the prospective brides* not an outright ban for the benefit of 'society' (where 'society' apparently means 'Chinese men'!)

*https://kh.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/getting-married-in-cambodia/

A quick Google search of "interracial marriage china" convinced me it's a hoax.

A quick browse of that site tells me that the news there shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It's believable, though, isn't it?

That's the beauty of it.  Trolling is a art :mrgreen:

It's believable, though, isn't it? Perhaps not the details in the article, but the headline.

Yeah. When unbelievable things happen again and again, you kind of have to lower your threshold for what is believable.

Yeah. When unbelievable things happen again and again, you kind of have to lower your threshold for what is believable.

Donald Trump president of the United States of America.

Ah, the one other story I checked out on East Asia Tribune ("Lion City’s Cam Girls") seemed serious & quite well written. But now I see lots of satire in the others (Super Chope, “You must now concentrate on being the best mother you can be, and also prepare for the arrival of your grandchild.” “I do hope she finds it; I really doubt her last employer will give her a good reference.” Inspired stuff! :P )

Anyone who reads that and doesn't immediately spot it as nonsense - I have $50M in a Nigerian bank account I need to transfer to you. 

First off, since when have courts *passed* legislation? And fierce debate? For months? Among legislators? In China? What wondrous parallel reality is this?

Second - no, the headline alone is not believable. The idea legislation like that would get passed without coming to widespread attention months or years in advance, the idea that there aren't easier and more effective ways to achieve similar aims - two seconds of critical thinking, please.

Third, ever heard of the East Asia Tribune before? No, me neither. 

• Like 2

Meanwhile, industry groups representing ESL teachers in China have also criticized the new policy. “The majority of teachers are male, and most end up wedding local women,” said a spokesperson for a chain of English-teaching cram schools in Shanghai. “If our teachers are banned from marrying Chinese girls, they may not stay in the country as long, and we risk losing talented staff.”
Nice :-)

Although the comments underneath the article are, predictably, not funny at all.