Chinese-Forums

Help with a name translation please

Guest matd80

Tetsuo, this is totally personal, 柯 is quite a common surname in China.

I don't like it because:

1. it sounds like 屙 , 痾 in Cantonese Chinese.

2. I know a woman with this surname name and I don't like her.

3. I don't like Clinton.

4. 祁 looks better.

5. 祁 reminds me of an old friend.

6. 祁 has a better meaning than 柯.

7. 祁 seems to be less common in China, which makes you special, or more special.

8. I learnt to sing 祁連山 when I was young.

9. better to avoid character with WOOD 木 till 21 Jan 2004, haven't you heard this? oh, well... do you know Fengshui? :P

10. I can't think of more for this moment, stick around I'll tell u more...

2. I know a woman with this surname name and I don't like her.

:D hahahahaha! That's a good enough reason for me! 8)

Actually I don't know much about fengshui. But I'm interested. Can you tell me why we should avoid using the wood character (just for names I assume :wink: ) until 21st?

Tetsuo,

Oh do you really want to know? Haha, okay let me tell you more.

According to a prediction made by So Man Fung (蘇民峰), the famous Fengshuist from Hong Kong, in Jan 2003, it was a dangerous year for those whose name with the character "木", e.g. 林, 李, 梅, 榮, 蘇, 柯, etc, especially those from the Entertainment Circle.

He calculated this by "statistics" and "experience", claimed by the Fengshuist.

And in 2003, a few famous entertainers died, 張國榮 (Leslie Cheung Kwok Wing), 林振強 (Lam Chen Keung*), 柯受良 (Ke Shouliang), and on 30 December 2003 梅艷芳 (Anita Mui Yim Fong) died of cancer.

All (except Ke) had some very great contribution to the Hong Kong Ent Circle, Leslie's and Anita's dead were made international news. (well... Ke's dead was also made international news too, but on Oddly Enough of the Reuters... )

Do you notice that all the four guys had one thing in common, they have a WOOD in their name.

~~~~~```~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :P

hak sei nei mei?

THen how about 2004?

The Fengshuist said in an interview that at the beginning of next year of Monkey (22 Jan 2004), WOOD and METAL (金) would be against each other and therefore names with WOOD and METAL should "pay more attention"....................................................

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Okay, this is the end of my report.

Don't think I'm that superstitious.

And in case you wanna know, my name has neither WOOD nor GOLD~~ :P LUCKY me` ```

@Pazu,

What do you think of the following names:

Joseph Hoggat = 何天將 [he tian jiang]

何 [he] a sound transliteration of the first syllable in Hoggat is a common chinese surname.

The meaning of Joseph as I searched in www.babynamenetwork.com is "God shall added." I losely translated it to 天將 which has a double entendre of being "God gives" and "God's Fighter."

Amy Lyn Boarde = 柏愛密 [bo ai mi]

柏 [bo] means cypress is a common chinese surname.

愛密 [ai mi] has also the same sound of Amy. I use the character 愛 because Amy is rooted from French either Amour [love] or Ame [soul], and Lyn means good-looking, so I use the character 密 to means honeysweet for her name.

ax

ax, you are asking me so I suppose you wanna know it from a Cantonese mind, but sorry because I don't think it's a good translation.

TO be more specific, HO is a very good translation of Hoggat. But the name Tin Jeung (Tian Jiang) reminds me of 天兵天將 only, I couldn't get a sense of "God gives" until you told me...

And there's something I think you should avoid when giving a Chinese name. 將 has two common pronunciations, jiang1/4 in Mandarin or Jeung (zoeng)1/3. It'll be a mess.

PS: 密 means secret. I think you should use "蜜'.