Chinese-Forums

how good am i gonna get in a semester?

babygodzilla

well im taking a beginner class in chinese rite now, and im gonna attend BLCU for a semester in the Fall. my question is how much better can my Chinese get in just a semester? the coordinator of the program im in told me that ill be quite proficient (im not sure how loose the word "proficient" is being used here) in just that short time. but after a few weeks im doubting myself, cause im finding chinese to be quite hard, at least the pronounciation part. so am i gonna get anywhere in just a semester? will i be able to carry a decent daily conversation? thanks

so am i gonna get anywhere in just a semester? will i be able to carry a decent daily conversation? thanks

I'm sure you'll get some information from others regarding BLCU. In general I think you need to look at second language acquisition as a long-term goal. It takes years of full-time study to even get to the point of reading a newspaper or being able to follow most of a television program.

In a semester you'll learn the basics--pronunciation, how to count, colors, introductions, and the most common verbs and nouns. I think you might want to call it 'survival Mandarin' and not think of it in terms of carrying a conversation.

If you chose BLCU for financing reasons then it makes sense, but there are a lot of foreigners there and you'll spend half of time learning reading/writing. The class sizes are also large and I've heard that there's very little actual conversation done--students get most of their practice outside of the classroom. If speaking was your primary goal then one of the private schools and a tutor would have been more effective. If your long-term intention is to continue studying Chinese in college then you've made a fine choice.

I'm leaning toward BeiDa, myself, but a private tutor is definitely in my plan.

I've just finished two semesters of full time study in China, due to return home next week. When I arrived I could recognise about 300 characters but say very little. The first semester just gave me 'survival' Chinese: enough to shop, eat and get around.

After two semesters, I understand most of what's said around me and one-to-one with someone patient I can carry out a slow conversation about a reasonably wide range of topics and get my meaning across. But in a rapid-fire conversation social setting I'm lost.

If you want rapid fluency in a second language, Chinese isn't the one to choose. I think the answer to your question is 'not very'. Sorry. :(

• 3 weeks later...