Chinese-Forums

Tourist visa -travel agency invitation-

Mr. Wat

Hey everyone,

I received two confirmation from two universities in Guangzhou that in order to be a student (chinese language program) with them I have to apply for a tourist visa and then when I will be there, they will help me change it to a  resident permit, apparently it's something that universities and also student do, so i'ts not a problem, but here in Algeria (where I live) in order to have a tourist visa we need to provide different documents about us but also : " an invitation and a visit program in China made by a travel agency that receives you in China" I took this directly from the website of the Chinese embassy here in Algeria (http://dz.china-embassy.org/fra/lsfw/t1173819.htm it's in french but you can change the language) 

Do you guys know any travel agency in China who can provide me with such documents ? 

Thank you =)

When applying for a Chinese visa, the first rule is don't rely completely on the Embassy website. The actual requirements may be more or they may be less.

On another web page, the Consulate warns it has no relationship with any travel agencies: "Le Consulat de l'Ambassade de Chine profite de l'occasion pour réitérer qu'il n'est lié par aucun partenariat avec aucune agence de voyage." Often, that really means there are travel agencies right there in Algiers who can put together the necessary documents, which may be a lot easier than trying to involve a travel agency in China.

• Like 1

Thank you for you answer,

Yesterday I went I went to the embassy, they gave me the same required documents that are presented in the website, so I think I can trust that website, and I agree with you website are not updated every time.

About agencies here in Algeria, it's seems that they all offer this kind of service for business visa, not tourist visa, the only one I found asked me for a huge amount of money, this is why I thought that doing business directly with a Chinese agency travel could save me some money and time. 

EDIT : I found this one => http://www.cantontours.com/index.php?/Visa-Service/visa-service.html

Looking around, this seems to be a common requirement for individual tourist visas at Chinese embassies in some countries. (Usually, an invitation from a travel agency is required only if you're applying for a group visa.)

You can email various Chinese travel agencies asking for help, but they'll probably want money for hotels and such. Further, if you don't deal with one of the agencies with good contacts in Algiers, it would not be a great surprise if the Consulate decided to find problems with your paperwork.

I think you need to explain the problem to the school and ask for help: this is really a problem of their making since they're not giving you the proper documents for a student visa upfront. They're probably not used to the problem you face, since most Western visitors can get a tourist visa to China these days without much hassle.

EDIT: As to the link you gave, there's a footnote there: "According to the regulation of Tourism Administration, tourists who get invitation letter issued by duly authorized unit is on the condition of booking package tour or other related services (hotel, airport transfer or day tour etc.) from travel agent. They are not in a position to provide visa invitation letter itself only." So you'd have to book something else, too. And if the Consulate wants to be fussy, they'll want an itinerary matching the length of your visa from the agency.

• Like 1

Exactly, I contacted that travel agency, they said that can provide an invitation but I have to book a service.

I didn't tell them my whole story, I said that I just want to visit Guangzhou.

Yesterday at the embassy, they told me that they need an invitation AND a visit program, so booking a three days tour and ask for a 30 days visa... yeah chances are thin ...

But once you've got truly official documents from a truly official Chinese institution, then your problems at the Consulate should end. So work with the university to resolve this. (I assume we're talking about a genuine "university," not a private language school.)

Besides, you're just going to be raising suspicion applying for a tourist visa when you're not going to be a tourist. In some Western countries, Chinese embassies are fairly relaxed about this sort of thing, but if you're in a country where they're not relaxed about handing out visas, then you really ought to play by the rulebook.

• Like 1

I contacted Jinan University, they told me to present the admission notice to the embassy and explain them the whole thing maybe it will help. I asked them to also send me an official document so I can also show the embassy that Jinan University is behind me on this, but I didn't get an answer on that specific point. Tomorrow we will see.

Larger Chinese embassies have a consul who's specifically in charge of education matters. They deal mostly with overseas Chinese students, but they also have a responsibility to encourage foreign students to study in China. If you encounter problems with the visa people, then see if you can track down the education consul and ask for help. Jinan's a fine, well-known university and its name should help.

• Like 1

Exactly ! I had a contact with a  guy working there, even if he was not helpful at all when I was asking about the CSC Scholarship, but maybe he can guide me and tell me what to do.

Jinan University seems to be cooperative, they answered my calls and emails, it's a nice touch, so now I have three option to explore, Jinan, the embassy and that travel agency, that's a good start !

@889 thank you for your help and advise, if you are in Gz, I'll invite for a cup of coffee when I will be there =)