Chinese-Forums

New? Pick up a free copy of That's Beijing and City Weekend

confucius

City Weekend's Entertainment Guide always has personal ads in the back by Chinese looking for language partners. Both magazines have restaurant reviews and suggestions on what to do. There is a Chinese Culture Club that frequently organizes activities in Beijing and their events get published in City Weekend.

When in doubt of where to eat always head for the food court at SOGO department store building near Xuanwumen subway station just past KFC.

I always get decent Cantonese food there, but there are plenty of other regional varieties.

There's no one place to hang out unless you're the bar hopping type then you can hop over to Sanlitun near the embassy district.

Some fun places: Natural History Museum, Panjiayuan Antiques Market, China North Shooting Range, Houhai hutongs, embassy parties, and of course Yonghegong/Guozijian/Confucius Temple. That should get you started. :roll:

• 2 months later...

:twisted: > China North Shooting Range

Well, whenever I go to a new country, one of the first things I like to do is go to the gun range, if they have one. Certainly everytime I visit my slightly crazy relatives in the US I do this. However I've heard that at the abovementioned shooting range, the hardware is fixed, ie you can't pick it up and wave it about (just as well if my billard skills are transferred into firearms) and therefore you don't get the recoil. Not worth it IMHO.

As punishment, you should go there and fire an RPG so you can experience the recoil yourself. I went there and watched Japanese tourists go nuts with machine guns and grenades. They waved weapons around and posed for photos like it was WW2 all over again; a spectacular sight to see worth every yuan of the price for admission. There's some things in China you just have to see to believe. China North Shooting Range is one. The Natural History Museum in Beijing is another.