Chinese-Forums

Help Again

peeyuwu

July 15, 2005

Dear Friends:

Would any one know the title, author, words and where I would be able to obtain the following piece of music which was quite popular during the "Eight Years Resistance War". The first verse began as follows:

"我 們 錦 繡

山 河 誰 是

主人翁

我 們 四 萬 萬

同胞 !"

(note at that time China still claimed to have a population of 400 million)

That's all the words I know. My father use to sing this song to me when I was a kid. I know how to hum the melody.

P5

Wow, you have a good memory. Were you in the war? I found the song for you. It's pretty bloody to be sung to a kid.

Here're the lyrics. Download the attached zipped file for the song. It's in WMA (Windows Media Audio format).

http://www.97star.com.cn/cgi-bin/bbs/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=5861&show=2260

《抗敌歌》(1931)

词:黄自/韦瀚章

中华锦绣江山谁是主人翁,我们四万万同胞!

强虏入寇逞凶暴,快一致永久抗敌将仇报!

家可破,国需保,身可杀,志不挠!

一心一力团结牢,努力杀敌誓不饶,

努力杀敌誓不饶!

中华锦绣江山谁是主人翁,我们四万万同胞!

文化疆土被焚焦,须奋起大众合力将国保!

血正沸,气正豪,仇不报,恨不消!

群策群力团结牢,拼将头颅为国拋,

拼将头颅为国拋!

More lyrics of songs by 黄自

http://mem.netor.com/m/jours/adindex.asp?page=1&boardid=16284

这位出身耶鲁音乐学院的20年代我国重要作曲家,竟于民国27年病逝于上海,年仅34岁,但他的「抗敌歌」与「旗正飘飘」等气壮山河的民族歌曲,却一直鼓舞着中国人的心,直到战争结束.

July 16, 2005

Dear Friend Gato:

Thanks for your kind assistance in finding this song. I know that I could depend on some kind soul on this site to locate this song.

The song may be "bloody", however, please realize that it was written at a time when the Japanese had just invaded and taken over Manchuria (NorthEast Nine Provinces 1931) and the Shanghai Incident (1932) with the famous Life magazine photo of a Chinese baby sitting alone in a bombed out railway yard with a chicken in one hand. Chinese song writers were not in a "benevolent" mood. Please also recall that General Yue Fei (Song dynasty) famous "Complete River Red" has many bloody lines, one of the more memorable one is: "Witty conversations while drinking Hun slaves blood". Finally a famous stanza: "He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored, He has loosed the fateful lightening of His terrible swift sword" (Battle Hymn of the Republic). In times of war, it is difficult to avoid "bloody".

However, that is in the past. For me, this song bring back memories of my father, who was in the war and who has since passed away.

Again, many thanks.

P5