Chinese-Forums

PlecoDict Versions which one?

silverwofl0

I am a beginner learning Chinese and was wondering which version of PlecoDict I should get. There are three versions with varying dictionaries from $60-$120. I have only had one year of Chinese. Which one would you recommend? Would it be wise to get the other dictionaries or stick with the basic package?

At one year of study, the smaller Oxford dictionary is probably adequate, and will be for a year or so yet, so you could get by with that.

However, at some point you are going to want to upgrade to the much more comprehensive ABC dictionary.

My advice - if money is an issue, or you think you may give up on Chinese in the next year or so, go with the cheaper $60 bundle with the Oxford dictionary. If you can afford the extra, and are sure you are in for the long haul, get the $100 ABC / NWP bundle (which is the one I have)

I can't see any reason for having the $120 bundle which includes the Oxford, ABC and NWP - I would have thought the ABC and NWP would have made the Oxford more or less redundant. Any comments?

Roddy

I can't see any reason for having the $120 bundle which includes the Oxford, ABC and NWP - I would have thought the ABC and NWP would have made the Oxford more or less redundant. Any comments?

I have all three because I upgraded from the old Oxford dictionary. I don't think I have used the Oxford dictionary other than testing to see if it works.

I can't see any reason for having the $120 bundle which includes the Oxford' date=' ABC and NWP - I would have thought the ABC and NWP would have made the Oxford more or less redundant. Any comments?

Roddy[/quote']

My habit is to look in more than one dictionary if I have them available, so I got the deluxe package. There is enough variance between the dictionaries (mostly in examples) to make it worthwhile for me. I do agree with Roddy's advice above though, you won't really be at a loss if you just get the $100 bundle.