Chinese-Forums

Is 棉花糖 the right word to search for marshmallow? I can't find the kind that makes roasted marshmallows.

vellocet

I had a cookout last night and my roasted marshmallows were a big hit.  I never realized Chinese people never had 'em before, but they loved 'em.  I just brought the one bag from the States (Kraft Jet-puffed) and now I desperately need to buy more. :help  People said they wouldn't come next time if I didn't have roasted marshmallows again!  :mrgreen:  Searching Taobao, as you do, revealed 棉花糖 to supposedly be the Chinese word for marshmallow.  But searching Baidu Images reveals 棉花糖 to be a variety of sweet desserts.  Is there a better term to use to find the kind of marshmallows that get roasted over the fire?  I tried searching in English but marshmallow is evidently a brand name of several types of products so nothing came up.  All I've found were English thumb-sized marshmallows.  I know these kinds of foreign concepts sometimes don't really translate into Chinese and there can be other ways of saying it.  

Add the words 进口 with 棉花糖 and search as 进口棉花糖, and click on the BBQ, followed by selecting which country (if any) and the flavor (if any).

品牌

BBQ
            CorNichE/可...
            三奥源
            落基山(美国)
            Lotte/乐天
            sucere

产地

荷兰
            菲律宾
            港澳台
            美国
            中国大陆
            日本

口味

原味
            苹果味
            仙草味
            草莓味

Interesting recipe written in Chinese and English, with pictures. :)

http://goobas.blogspot.jp/2009/04/marshmallow-homemade-marshmallow-recipe.html

• Like 1

Ah, I learned something today, though it was not what I set out to learn.  My URLs above were all when I was using my VPN, and they direct to world.taobao.com.  It seems you get different search results depending on where you are.  I just searched for 棉花糖 again without VPN and I found "Rocky Mountain" brand marshmallows.  I've never heard of this brand, but searching reveals they are "the leading US marshmallow brand sold outside of the United states".  Well, we'll give them a try.  I finally found Kraft marshmallows, too - but at the kingly price of 140 yuan per package, I think I'll try this Rocky Mountain.  Thanks everyone!  Lesson learned for next time, when searching in Chinese always search from China.