Chinese-Forums

Where where?

Harvey

What is the difference between...

你去哪ル? ni qu nar? [Hey, how do I type ni qu nar? with the R for nar, in Chinese input system?]

and...

你去什么地方? ni qu shenme difang?

Do they both mean where are you going? Or where will you go? Are the exactly the same?

Thanks for any help!

- Harvey

What is the difference between...

你去哪ル? ni qu nar? [Hey, how do I type ni qu nar? with the R for nar, in Chinese input system?]

Why do you have, ni3 qu4 na3ru? (ル is a japanese gana with the pronunciation of ru) any way,

你去哪ル = where are you going?

你去什么地方 = where are you going?

the difference is that one is more colloquial than the other I guess.

Thanks, I guess they are the same, but one is more colloquial than the other.

I put the Japanese "ru" in there, because it looks like Chinese "er" and I couldn't figure out how to input Chinese "er" at the time.

我不能写'儿'!

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldnt ni qu nar? mean Where are you going?

While ni qu shenme difang? would mean more like What place are you going to..??

(disclaimer- I am a beginner and still trying to get to grips with this wonderful language.)

你去哪里? Ni3 qu4 na2 li3? is the formal version.

你去哪?Ni3 qu4 na3? is the informal version, which is pronounced as Ni3 qu4 nar3? by many Chinese, however the 儿er2 is not written normally. When it is written for the sole purpose of indicating the final -r change in the sound, it is written with a small er2, for example: 你去哪

-Shìbó :mrgreen:

Shibo, I was under the impression that some cases of "erhua" had been adopted into the standard language, eg na4r, zhe4r, na3r etc. I thought na4li3, zhe4li3, na3li3 was only for southerners who couldn't pronouce r. Similarly for verbs: I believed that wan2r was the only verb where the r became part of the standard language. But whereas Peking residents say wan2rwan2r, southerners say wa2n yi wa2n.

I really don't know, I just stay around the Beijing region so what I hear is limited. I sometimes say 哪里na2 li3, but more often I say 哪 nar3.

Here most people pronounce 玩as war2, and 完 as wan2, however I have heard people in Taiwan pronounce both as the same wan2, which is what is listed in the dictionaries, but I find pronouncing 玩 as 完 awkward, mainly because I'm not used to it. Also when people here say ".... 玩玩", it is pronounced war2 war5, the second syllable is unstressed neutral tone, I haven't heard of war2 war2 both as second tones. But people in Taiwan probably say 玩一玩 wan2 yi4 wan2 or maybe wan2 yi5 wan2?

fenlan << does that have something in common with Finland, or it is just your Chinese name?

-Shìbó :mrgreen: