Chinese-Forums

Kunming Questions

shan

Hello. I have a couple of Qs regarding my upcoming adventure to Kunming.

1) I'll be starting at the Kunming School of Eastern Languages this August. Instead of sending me the JW202 form, they have told me to get a tourist visa and they will help change it to X status student visa on my arrival for 400RMB. Will this be easy and what does it involve? What's this about having to have a medical examination? I don't like the sound of that and would rather do it in the UK.

2) Can anyone recommend a cheap and clean place to stay whilst flat hunting? I'd prefer a room rather than dorm.

3) What part of Kunming should I live in and why?

Any words of wisdom much appreciated. Thanks.

You can have your medical exam done in the UK, you just need to have the right form filled out by the doctor that does. As I recall, it included an ekg, bloodwork, etc. As to the form, I'd just try and find a doctor who is familiar with the exam. If you're attached to a university now, or one in the past that has an exchange program in china, the clinic attached to them might be able to do the exam.

Lots of schools change student's visas after they arrive. I refused to do this and demanded my JW202's in advance so I could enter on the correct visa, but then I'm a little over-cautious. I don't know anything about the school you're at, and how smooth it would go is probably a matter of how efficient that school is.

I lived in sujiatang (苏家唐) while I was there, and found it to be more than adequate, inexpensive (3 bedroom unfurnished 800kuai/month), and very close to YNNU where I went to school. There's a history of foreigners staying there, and so you might find landlords more accustomed to renting to outsiders. If it's close to your school (sujiatang is located on jianshelu, construction road, just north of Kunming Science and Technology Uni.), then it might be a nice place for you.

If you're rich, and don't mind living on the far north side of town, beichun is super-clean (even their rats, though numerous, are tidy) though no doubt super expensive, and plenty of westerners live there as well. Course if you're trying to learn chinese, you might not want to live around english speakers.

Can't help you on temporary accomodations. Good luck.

Thanks for the info sui.generis.

I don't know why the kunming school of eastern languages won't send me the JW202. Perhaps to save on admin costs for them? I'm just worried it will be a hassle to sort out my visa in China. I have enough to think about and do not want visa troubles when I get there. It makes me not trust them entirely. I've just emailed them again requesting it. I think I'll get my mandarin speaking mum to call them.

What would your opinion be on attending a private school Vs a large university? I also have a place at Yunnan University (they kindly sent me the JW202 form straight away) but am unsure whether to go. It's hard to get a real idea idea of what these schools are like from afar. Kunming school is $100 cheaper a semester and the class sizes seem slightly smaller. But perhaps it would be more fun to go to the university as is is much larger...

Does anyone else have any advice to give on choosing schools in Kunming?

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to a school in China last year, and got them to spent hundreds of yuan in sending me the JW202 form by international express post, and then I changed my mind and decided not to go that year. I expect the Kunming school after somee experiences has decided not to invest RMB300-400 in a foreign student before he has even arrived in China.