Chinese-Forums

Do Chinese make or buy mooncakes during mid-autumn nowadays?

stevenjac

I've had a homemade one and it was way better than the shop ones. I've never had a moon cake I've liked otherwise.

I've heard good things about Starbucks moon cakes. Maybe that's because they use more contemporary flavours like chocolate

Almost all the moon cakes are bought from shops and I hated them all my life....until one day I was actually given a box of homemade ones. They were outstanding!

So unfortunately people buy them from shops and they are poor quality, probably because it is just faster and easier, I however support all efforts to revive the self making concept - the taste is so much better. Unfortunately the guy I got them from two years ago moved away from Beijing :(

In my Chinese family they also buy moon cakes from shops and never make them. It's common to get moon cakes as a gift, on some years you can get a lot of gift packages with moon cakes. During recent years the 冰皮月饼 have been really popular, they are swear and more like a Western dessert with lots of flavors to choose from.