Chinese-Forums

Inkstone: my free, open-source Chinese writing app

skishore

3 hours ago, furiop said:

If possible some line of original txt file, attached, so we can look at real format, thank you.

This is the original file. I've noticed there's an empty blank line at the end, so I tried deleting it but the error keeps appearing. 

The error btw, indicates there's a row that has been malformatted, but doesn't give more info.

flash-1905232047.txt

Answer to

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/51989-a-short-list-of-resources-for-studying-chinese/?do=findComment&comment=453876

Dear xinoxanu x,

As Mikelove said, the format is: Simpl|TAB|Trad|TAB|Numb.Pinyin|TAB|definition

So, from Pleco file, find-and-replace every "[" into a tab and every "]" into nothing.

Example

成群[成群]    cheng2qun2    1 in groups 2 large numbers of 3 grouping

is changed in

成群    成群    cheng2qun2    1 in groups 2 large numbers of 3 grouping

Tab+definition is compulsive, so

街角[街角]    jie1jiao3     (no tab+definition)

is changed in

街角    街角    jie1jiao3    definition

delete last blank line 109

Furio

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

Can the Inkstone bit be moved into the inkstone thread?

Done.  For future reference, it's usually better to hit 'Report Post' rather than @ing a specific admin user, as then anyone on the admin team can fix the problem.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Hi! 

Thanks for the help but I'm not sure how to do this automatically:

7 hours ago, furiop said:

街 [ot角]    jie1jiao3     (no tab+definition)

is changed in

街角    街角    jie1jiao3    definition

Do I need to manually input "definition" when there's none?

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

In Pleco export it is possible to put a definition if not present in flascards. Pleco original definition is too long for me, so I'm using the CC-CEDICT dictionary for short definitions (HERE a 2013 version).

I change "[" and "]"  with "Tab" and "Nothing" using a simple text editor (usually I use Notepad++, but any editor with global serch&replace feature works  well).

I use editore for deleting last blank lines too.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

No, you don't.

Step 1: Open your .txt file in Notepad++; press "Ctrl + H".

Step 2: In the dialog box, change "Search Mode" from "Normal" to "Regular expression".

Step 3: In the field "Find what", type "\[(.+?)\]\t" (without quotation marks); in the field "Replace with", type "\t\1\t" (without quotation marks); click "Replace All".

Step 4: In the field "Find what", type "^([^\t]+\t[^\t]+\t[^\t]+)$" (without quotation marks); in the field "Replace with", type "\1\tNO DEF" (without quotation marks); click "Replace All".

Step 5: Change "Search Mode" back to "Normal"; click "Close".

Step 6: Go to menu: Edit > Line Operations > Remove Empty Lines.

Step 7: Save your file. Done.

• Thanks 2
  • Helpful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I am new to this Forum and would like to post my first Question right away :-)

I am using an iPhone in Germany. and the link for the inkstone app does not work here. There seems to be another app in the appstore with this Name, but different Content.

I couldn´t find the answer in the Forum yet, therefore I post it here. If it has been answered before, please let me know.

BTW: I would like to introduce myself with a few words. Is there a certain area i should do so?

Thanks,

Dimi

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is a topic "Why Chinese"  here https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/43982-why-chinese/?tab=comments#comment-328363

This is good place to share why you learn Chinese and a bit about yourself.

Or you could just start a new topic - Maybe something like - Hello, I am Dimi. 

There you could introduce yourself.

I hope this helps. This is a very friendly forum, enjoy :)

17 hours ago, kanumo said:

I am using an iPhone in Germany. and the link for the inkstone app does not work here. There seems to be another app in the appstore with this Name, but different Content.

I couldn´t find the answer in the Forum yet, therefore I post it here. If it has been answered before, please let me know.

I just searched in the US App Store, and I didn't see it either.

It has been almost a year since the author updated the app or responded to any of the issues on the GitHub repo... I think he may have moved on to other projects. I would not be surprised if Apple takes your apps off its store if you don't pay some sort of yearly registration fee. That may be the reason we can't find his app there anymore.

The Android version is unaffected, and in any case you could always download an .apk from the GitHub repo if it disappeared from the Google Play store. I don't believe you have that option if you're using an iPhone unless you jailbreak it first...