Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language, Chinese Mind?

WKC

Someone posted a link to an article called "Chinese Language, Chinese Mind?" in another thread.  I thought the question of how the Chinese mind differs was interesting and deserves discussion.

I think there are fundamental differences as well as fundamental similarities between Chinese and other languages.  In Chinese 白 can mean 'pure' just as a white wedding dress symbolises 'purity'.  In Chinese 馬 means 'horse, military', just as there is a similar link between 'cheval' and 'chevalier'.

it is all quite interesting.

• Like 1

It has been claimed that Chinese characters are primarily semantic-phonetic compounds.  I think this is true in today's vernacular Chinese.  To me semantic-phonetic compounds train the mind to make substitutions to arrive at a meaning.  For example, in the character 河, you have to substitute a different form of semantic 氵 and phonetic 可.  In essence, it trains the mind to substitute meanings and sounds.

All quite fascinating to me.

In English, the word 'fin' asks the reader to solve a puzzle.  That puzzle is how to pronounce the word 'fin'.  In French, the word 'fin' also asks the reader to solve a puzzle.  That puzzle is also how to pronounce the word 'fin'.

What is fascinating is that both English and French use the Latin phonetic script, yet the word 'fin' is pronounced differently in English and French; furthermore the meaning of 'fin' is different in both English and French.

Therefore there is absolutely no need for the symbols 'fin' to represent the same sound or meaning.  I think this applies to Chinese as well where a character is pronounced differently in different dialects and they may also have different meanings.

Absolutely interesting.

In the language of mathematics, a/d = b/d allows the mathematician to deduce that a = b.

In Chinese,  has a 古文 in the Kangxi Dictionary that allows Chinese scholars to solve 一 equals the  ‘the headless man’.

Bet you guys didn’t know that Chinese uses logic that is similar to mathematical logic.

Classical Chinese does not use semantic-phonetic compounds.  It uses associative compounds.  You cannot read it because the sub-components that form the associative compound have different meanings from vernacular Chinese.  You have to be able to substitute in classical Chinese meanings before the associative compound makes any sense.

Lots of puzzles need to be solved.

(moon) (day) (understand).  You have to understand the moon’s day – the mid-autumn festival.  You have to understand the legend of 后羿 and what it signifies.

Keep thinking about what 漢字 tells you.  Open your eyes, solve the puzzles and arrive at the Chinese mind.