Chinese-Forums

10 Pictures Let You Know More About China

post20161017

If iphones were the same price, this wouldn't happen*. That doesn't explain why the couple in the cartoon are buying a toilet seat, an item which does not, I believe, incur punitive luxury tariffs.

While I'm not sure of the OPs motivation, I suspect this is more likely to be well-meaning folk working towards cross-cultural understanding, if a little clumsily, than a state-sponsored propaganda effort. Or marketing with an as yet undelivered pay-off. 

*Look! We've been let to know more about China. 

Ah!  I think the cartoons were probably published in China in Chinese first, and the populous must have really taken the teachings to heart! The cartoon showing the purchase of the toilet seat while overseas due to tax benefits, now means this story now makes complete sense.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2035213/chinese-tourists-apologise-after-taking-toilet-seat-japanese

Regardless of OP's intentions, I'd expect state-sponsored propaganda to be a little more sophisticated than this.  Then again, that whole 'female government workers beware of handsome male foreigners' thing they had going last year showed just how simple-minded some of these things can be.

• 2 weeks later...