Chinese-Forums

Are Chinese people really that scared of Jiangshi 僵尸 zombies?

vellocet

For Halloween this year, I thought it would be a hoot to go as a Chinese spook instead of the usual visual English pun that most foreigners seem to dress up as.  After looking at a couple of horror films, I decided on the Jiangshi zombie.  Costume 80 yuan from Taobao, white and blue makeup, done.  Of course I had to post photos of myself on Wechat, and I got some reactions.  Stuff like 太恐怖了 or just a bunch of those Wechat fright icons.  I even won a costume contest (woo ¥1500 bar credit!)  I can't shake the feeling though that they thought it was actually scary, not just the ghosts 'n goblins kind of scary.  Am I reading too much into this?  

I even won a costume contest (woo ¥1500 bar credit!)  I can't shake the feeling though that they thought it was actually scary, not just the ghosts 'n goblins kind of scary.  Am I reading too much into this?

Assuming they could see you're a foreigner, you giving this enough thought to choose something from Chinese mythology could have given you some bonus points.

By the way, which 僵尸 films would you recommend to watch? I think apart from "A Chinese Ghost Story" and "The Bride with White Hair" I've never seen any Chinese movie that would quality as "supernatural horror". But I must admit I avoid much of the stuff that's been coming out since CGI made their way into Chinese movies of that kind.

Here in the UK about 15 years or more ago, Channel 4 showed a whole series of Chinese vampire and ghost films. They were great, hopping vampires and having to hold your breath so they couldn't detect you, write their name on a piece of paper and put it on their forehead to stop them moving and other great stuff, would love to watch them again.

Any titles in English or Chinese?

Photos...haha, nice try. I'll never take my figurative mask of internet anonymity off to show my literal mask.  And by literal mask I don't literally mean a mask, just white face makeup with blue eyes. I just look like a laowai with a costume, literally. 

The movie I tried to copy was Mr. Vampire 1 暫時停止呼吸, a successful series that went up to 6 at least.  The link I found on Youtube was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw9Bd2tXgWQ but unfortunately not subtitled in Chinese or English, spoken Cantonese only.  If anyone has a link to the film with subtitles I'd love to watch it.  It's a Hong Kong flick which means half scary, half physical comedy.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2016/11/3 at 0:51 AM, Shelley said:

write their name on a piece of paper and put it on their forehead to stop them moving and other great stuff,

http://npic7.edushi.com/cn/zixun/zh-chs/2016-07/21/e-3200062-s16042GP4-6.jpg

those are not their names but taoist incantations

there is no chance to know the name of a zombie from Qing dynasty ...

they usually have manchu names...