Chinese-Forums

Zhang Yimou's Hero - Extended Version finally?

laolee

I read the following in another forum:

Finally, director's cut (118mins) is released in China. This time it's not news, it's the actual dvd.....

China GuangDong GoldFace, the same company made theatrical 98min release in China mainland.

My friend is a big retail seller in China, the manufacturer asked him how many copies he likes to order. The discs are already in pressing.

Has anyone else heard or read about this? I certainly hope this is true.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, it is poor, and I can't believe Zhang Yimou made it. What has become of him? I thought I was going to be sublimely transported back into Chinese history by this film, but I was transported into crazy, shallow special-effect land one more time.

I waited for the film for years and it was a major disappointment for me. But at least there's something good in it, like some beautiful visuals, Tan Dun's score and Tony Leung's charisma. I really want to see the extended edition though. Could be better than the cut one.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it last Friday, and was also disappointed with it. The only acting performance I liked was Tony Leung's. It's surprising that Zhang Yimou paints Qin Shi Huang in a positive light (someone compassionate), different from how most historians perceive the Qin Emperor.

Many film critics gave high praise to the performance of Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung in the movie.

It may pave the path for wide release of their movies in the future in US.

Sony should consider changing "Infernal Affairs" (Sept 17) from a limited release to wide release.

There are many people who think Zhang Yimou unjustly portrayed Qin Shi Huang as a benign ruler who had to impose his absolute rule by the sword and inflict many deaths to obtain one objective: to unify the country.

Maybe this is why the Communist government was so delighted with the film, because they see it as a parallel to unifying the country with regards to Taiwan.

hey hey no problems here. . i'm just trying to practice my chinese as much as possible, if you ever see a mistake, feel free 8)

what is 套 the common measure for? i thought once i heard "bu" was a measure for movies, but I couldn't remember the character for it..

and i understand my other 2 mistakes, but I don't get 終於 because Zhongwen.com said the one I used also meant "finally"

what does it mean?

I think measure words for 電影/戲 include 套, 部 and 齣 (chu1). You can also use 場, but it means a show/screening.

I am not sure how to explain the difference between 終究 and 終於. My dictionary says the former (after all) emphasise the expectation, whereas the latter (finally, in the end) emphasise the fact of the outcome.