Chinese-Forums

cheaper airfare tip

etcetera24

Just a suggestion for finding cheap(er) airfare. If there is a large chinese community where you live, you might want to visit chinese travel agencies and see what airfares/ packages they offer. Airlines often block off tickets to these agencies at a cheaper rate because they can access the market of people who are most likely to go to China (ie. overseas chinese).

I live in Toronto where there's a huge chinese community in the suburbs and got an Air Canada ticket to Beijing from a chinese travel agency cheaper than anything I could find - online or off-line.

there are lots of travel agencies in chinese malls located in the toronto suburbs so we shopped around asking about airfare prices.

agencies also advertise in local chinese newspapers so that's a good resource if you know how to read chinese.

I have a name and number of a travel agency that costs about half what delta, and the big boys wanted to charge me for my flight to shenyang. Delta wanted $1200. This company goes by the name of NationWide Travel ((1800 476 1623)), I had never heard of them but my wife kept nagging me to buy from them. I gave them a call and got a ticket from Alabama to Shenyang for $550. I don't really know why it's so cheap, and I hope I don't wind up regretting it. Hope that'll help anyone out.:

FYI, I've posted a longish description at http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?p=43506#post43506 .

Although I'm also in Toronto, I'm comfortable with Internet ordering, and think that I can do a better job online than the Chinatown travel agents. (I actually work for a company that is the world's largest travel account, if you know who that is!) Of course, the times that I've flown on the company's bill, they've paid the $50 travel agent fee so that I get the extra corporate services ....