Chinese-Forums

Strange Pronunciation of 小姐 !?

Apollys

I guess one question is whether the 姐 should trigger Tone 3->2 sandhi on the 小, despite the 姐 being neutral? Technically it should but this example may break that pattern for any number of reasons.

Perhaps because while 小姐 on its own should trigger the sandhi on 姐, the fact that it's 小姐 serves to unstress the whole of the 小姐. I think a lot of people would pronounce the 先 in 先生 differently in fluid speech depending if it's 先生 or 周先生. And indeed differently if you were introducing 周先生 as a VIP at a meeting, compared to referring to him for the third time in a conversation.

Consider someone studying English who has learned that the main stress on "president" is on the first syllable, but then hears a snippet of conversation between journalists talking about "President Trump" and running together all three syllables of "president" in an unstressed way and only stressing the "Trump". I reckon that's similar here.

So there are rules, and then there are normal speech conventions.

Furthermore your mp3 sentence is part of a question: first, this will change the tones (the speaker will use intonation to show it's a question); second, the sentence ends in a 的 so the speaker will want to make sure that the 的, while not necessarily toned or stressed, is clearly demarcated from 姐 (otherwise the listener will think it's a possessive 的 and be left hanging: 周小姐的什么?) . All this will change how the 小姐 is pronounced.

Fun stuff to think about but I'm certainly not clever enough to remember all these variables and then, when speaking, analyse which applies where and instantly deploy the correct answer. Instead my approach has to be to listen listen listen until things start sounding normal and natural and I end up reproducing them without really thinking about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, realmayo said:

I guess one question is whether the 姐 should trigger Tone 3->2 sandhi on the 小, despite the 姐 being neutral? Technically it should but this example may break that pattern for any number of reasons.

As I learned it, in this particular word, 小 is always pronounced in the second tone (because of the sandhi) even though 姐 is neutral. No matter if there is a surname in front of it, whether you're introducting a particular 小姐 or are referrring to her for the fifth time in a conversation, or whether you're yelling it across a restaurant.

My theory is that this grew to be so because it's such a common word. It probably started out as a regular 3->2 - 3 word, and the second tone stayed even when the second syllable became neutral tone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...