Chinese-Forums

MA in Northern China or in Taiwan ?

Azastorr

Hello everyone,

Next year, I'll do a MA in sinology or history either in Northern China or in Taiwan. Where people who have been both in China and Taiwan would advise me to go ?

Here is a bit of my background :

I've studies chinese for three years. I spent six months in Taipei last year which I enjoy (except pollution and climat, probably normal for a Swiss :-) I have never been in Norther China. Before studying chinese, I lived with a Beijing family in Geneva (Switzerland) for two year. Alghouth we haven't spoken chinese (we spoke english), I learnt many things about chinese culture (more than the taiwanese one).

I'm looking for spending my time only with autochtones to learn as much as possible. I'm interested in culture activities like theater, music concerts, discussing with artists. I don't mind about accents. I'd like to meet warming people.

I proposed Taiwan because I already know it some and Northern China because I enjoy this kind of climat very much (dongbei or at least, Shandong, I don't think I'd like Shanghai's climate and if moving from Taiwan, I'd prefer to change for less humide climate)

:-)

How about Beijing? It's supposed to be best place for the cultural activities you mentioned, theater, music concerts, artists... If you like starchy food like dumplings, noodles and buns, Beijing's the place for you, too. Dongbei's temperature often dips below -20 deg Cel. in the winter, probably much colder than Geneva. Beijng's temperature is usually between -20 and -0 in the winter.

Beijing University and Renmin (People's) University supposedly have two of the best history departments in the country.

http://www.pku.edu.cn/

http://www.ruc.edu.cn/