Chinese-Forums

UTF-* vs GB2312 & Big5

Emma

Hi, I'm trying to send out some emails (traditional and simplified) to a list of Chinese email address from the UK and have received conflicting advice on using UTF-8 vs GB2312 and Big5. I sent out an email last week using UTF-8 but was told that some people in China couldn't view the email (I assume their encoding was set to GB or Big5) - is there any recognised way to get around this? For example I was considering putting an image at the top of the page explaining how to change the encoding to UTF-8. Or should I use GB2312 and Big5 instead?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks for your help :-)

Emma

The idea attaching an image telling people how to change their encoding setting (using Netscape/Internet Explorer) is not bad at all.

the alternative using GB or Big5 yourself has its problems if you want to show both systems together.

probably you should think of converting the characters into html codes first. But if it's a long letter it can be troublesome for you.

read the thread (my post):

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/5-how-many-characters-do-you-know527