Chinese-Forums

scholarships offered on wechat

xray_UG

I'd also be interested. There have been a few reports of this kind of thing. I'm very dubious, especially when up front costs are involved. Not necessarily as it's a scam, although it may be, but the idea of a scholarship is to help exactly the kind of person who might not be able to pay that. It also depends what the help is - the CSC application process for example, seems very opaque, and must be a nightmare for those who neither speak English or Chinese. So I can see the need for a small consultancy guiding people through that process. But if it's someone with access at a university or embassy making people are on the list in exchange for $200, that's a different story. 

• Like 1

Scholarships are free. If there are any people asking for payment without any authorization from the CSC or similar, you should think twice before paying them. It would also be funny to get scammed while trying to get into a PhD program, or further, to waste a lot of money on a scam promising free education. 

There is something called 黄牛 in Chinese. I learned this from a friend working at the Apple Store here. He said 黄牛 is when, for example, Apple is giving away free headphones to anyone buying their latest phone. Someone (or a group of people usually) goes and buys 1000 phones in the morning, then there are no more free headphones left for genuine phone-buyers later that day. 黄牛 is making a profit selling 1000 headphones, which would have been free. 

Beware of 黄牛. You might get some help, but don't fall for something that might be a scam. 

• Like 3

• New Members

@Angelina and @roddy Thanks for the information. It would indeed be funny if I got scammed, I know that there are a lot of scam artists out there. I was just wondering if anyone had met any people that could actually help. I think I will just use the official channels, cross my fingers and wait. 黄牛 ...hahaha

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2017 at 8:59 PM, roddy said:

I'd also be interested. There have been a few reports of this kind of thing. I'm very dubious, especially when up front costs are involved. Not necessarily as it's a scam, although it may be, but the idea of a scholarship is to help exactly the kind of person who might not be able to pay that. It also depends what the help is - the CSC application process for example, seems very opaque, and must be a nightmare for those who neither speak English or Chinese. So I can see the need for a small consultancy guiding people through that process. But if it's someone with access at a university or embassy making people are on the list in exchange for $200, that's a different story. 

Yup. There are in fact people involved in many universities who have inside contacts. They assure the scholarship 100%. In the end, it comes down to money and corruption I guess in some universities. 

@Angelina is right. 

On 2/14/2017 at 6:34 AM, xray_UG said:

I was just wondering if anyone had met any people that could actually help.

Yes, I know students who have got through this path because apparently, some agencies have internal contacts.