Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Sign in to follow this  
ajohnston1988

Asian Vase Marking Identification

ajohnston1988

Hey Folks, Hope you're having a good one. My Mom has this vase that she's curious to identify. None of the antiques shops we've taken it too so far have been able to identify it and I haven't had much luck finding similar markings online. Any information/reference would be greatly appreciated!

AsianVaseMarking.gif

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

It says this was made in the Ming Dynasty during the reign of Emperor Xuande. These marks are nearly always found on pieces that were in fact not made in the Ming Dynasty during the reign of Emperor Xuande.

• Like 2

stapler

Agree with above. That's the most fake ancient Chinese writing I've ever seen :D

• Like 1

ajohnston1988

Thanks for that 889! Are there any other ways to identify the piece that you're aware of? 

Publius

真品款识有一、二、四、六字款四种格式,如“宣”、“宣德”、“宣德年制”或“大明宣德年制”,字体规整;而假宣德炉一般只有“大明宣德年制”的六字款。

真宣德炉的款中,但凡德字,心上均无一横。而制字皆为“掣”字。“宣”和“宣德”字样均为隶体字,而“宣德年制”和“大明宣德年制”字样均正楷方体字。两者中间,前者为刻款,而后者为铸款。

宣德炉为收藏市场大热,但也存在大量的仿制品,有专家称真品与仿制品的比率为四十万分之一,虽属夸张但也是真品稀少仿制品大量存在的写照

http://treasure.chinesecio.com/article/2009-12/29/content_97365.htm

As fake as fake can be...

• Like 1

ajohnston1988

Thanks so much for sharing, I sure appreciate all the replies.