Chinese-Forums

Google Pinyin on Android TV?

ZhangKaiRong

So, just recently I decided to buy a Sony Bravia 4k UHD TV, with Android smart TV functions. The main reason for the decision was mainly to find a decent 4k TV with HDR for PS4 gaming, but obviously having smart TV functions by default, I would like to use that feature as well. I downloaded some useful apps on it, including the Google Pinyin input to be convenient to search for Chinese videos on YouTube. A week ago I did a full system reset on the TV, meaning that previously installed apps are gone now. The weird thing that I can't download the Google Pinyin now, I can't even find it in the Play store. Whenever I type pinyin in the Google Play Search, the result is the Google Japanese Input (which I found quite ironic from a Japanese manufacturer :D). Anyone experienced the same problem on Android TV? The odd thing that I can access Google Pinyin on my Android phone and can google it on my laptop as well, and webpage of Google Play says that all of my registered devices, including the Bravia TV is compatible with the Google Pinyin app, so I don't really understand why does it not show up on the TV's Google Play search bar. It would help a lot to have Chinese input, as my girlfriend watches a lot of mainland and Taiwanese TV programmes on YouTube, and some videos simply don't show up if you don't type the name with characters, so I need to search it on my phone and mirror on the TV or select from the native Android TV YouTube app's History section. It's not the end of the world, but still annoying. So, anyone any solutions? I found the Sougou app to be available as well, but it requires so much unnecessary permissions from the device that I don't want to use it if I can avoid.

Do you have the same Google playstore front page as on a tablet/phone? Have you tried clicking on the 3 bars in the title box and looking for my apps/ all. If you have logged into the tv with same login as your tablet/phone you should see all the apps you have ever downloaded to your tablet, phone or tv in the past.

if it is in that list, click it and then you should be able to download it on to your tv.

I am sort of okay with android so I hope this helps, and that I haven't got the wrong end of the stick.

• Like 1

If you are signed into Google on your laptop and the Google Pinyin app shows up there on Google Play, then you should be able from your laptop to order the app to be downloaded to your TV.

Click "Install" on the Google Pinyin page and you should be shown a list of devices linked to your account. Select your TV and in a few minutes the app should show up automatically on the TV.

• Like 1

@Shelley The problem is that on the TV it only lists apps that are compatible with the TV.

@889 This worked, I used the Opera Browser from  thank you. The funny thing that even though I have the Google Pinyin installed, the Play store still doesn't show it when I search for it, only the Google Japanese pops up. Weird. Anyway, thank you, now we can find all the good Chinese YouTube videos :)