Chinese-Forums

Physical Exam for X Visa

kailin

Does anyone know if it is an absolute requirement that applicants for an X Visa get their physical exam before applying for their visa? Is it possible to apply for a visa without the physical exam form and than to get it filled out in China? I ask because not only will it cost hundreds of dollars to pay for blood work, and EKG and a chest Xray, you are also required, in the US, to get the form notarized by a notary public, authenticated by the Secretary of State (!) and by the Chinese consulate, which sounds like it might takes weeks to get done, and I don't have that much time.

I am crossing my fingers that there might be an easier way to do this.

Kailin

http://tantian.blogspot.com

The requirement strikes me as being a bit arbitrary... I received an X visa from the Consulate in Toronto without a physical exam certificate.

However, I think the physical exam is needed if you will be in China for over one year (over 365 days) but I noted on the visa form that I'm going to be in China for 335 days. I wasn't even being sneaky... I calculated and realized I'm only going to be there just shy of a year!

Call the consulate/ embassy where you'd mail your application to ask . Actually, I'd play it dumb: don't even specifically ask whether you need a physical exam. Just ask what you need to apply for a student (X) visa. If you're told a physical is not necessary, make sure you get the name of the consulate/ embassy officer who you spoke with for future reference.

Good luck!

Cat

I was wondering about quite the same - I do have an X visa, and I did have that health examination form filled when I applied for the scholarship. But I noticed that the BNU webpage still says that during registration I need to show them that health examination paper, as if for visa purposes/ for X visa holders.

The sad part is, health examination paper is valid for 6 months - till july.

So the big question is - should I run around and see all the necessary doctors to get a new one, or not?

Thanks for all your input, everyone. After finally managjng to access the homepage for the Chinese embassy in the US (which seems to have constant server problems) I think that the official line here is similar to what you suggested, Cat: you don't need to get a physical examination if you will be there less than one year. Now, the homepage for the Chinese consulate in New York, where I will be going this morning, doesn't say that, so I am crossing my fingers! I'll let you all know the verdict.

Kailin

The exam is not required any more. You can get it when you get in the country.

If you're worried, on your visa app., just say you are only coming for 10 months. Writing this won't actually limit your stay to that, which is determined by how long the school keeps you.

As far as I know, the China Embassy in the US doesn't accept apps. directly anymore, you have to go thru a service like Visarite, at least it was that way at the end of 04.

I went to the NYC Chinese consulate today and they didn't blink an eye when I didn't hand in the physical form. I'll be picking up my visa on Tuesday, so I'll know by then whether or not the physical is definitely not a requirement. In case it's of use to anyone, I should let you know that I also applied for a multi-entry X visa, which they have recently started allowing for Americans.

Mark--I applied directly to the consulate without any problems. Judging from my perusal of it's website, I think you can also apply directly to the embassy.

Kailin

Mark--I applied directly to the consulate without any problems. Judging from my perusal of it's website, I think you can also apply directly to the embassy

Then maybe my situation was something like- processing thru the mail at the Chicago Embassy is only done thru a service.