Chinese-Forums

HSK 4 Written scoring

Clarabelle

I was wondering how they mark the written section of HSK 4 namely:

Where you have to rearrange the sentences in questions 86-95 if you get them in the correct order but the writing of the characters is sloppy do you still get full marks?

Can you get full marks questions 96-100 where you must write a sentence to go with the picture if you write a simple sentence or would you have to use more impressive vocabulary? I was thinking I could maybe learn off a few pat sentences and insert the given word and picture.

Thanks

Hi Clarabelle,

The best way to improve your writing score, since you have no idea what the topic will be, is to practice generic essay writing transition words, phrases and patterns. For example: however; not only... but...; even though; despite; in spite of; in addition to; regardless; first, second, third...; and so on.

Also, master common Chinese verbs.

Finally, master as many sentence patterns as you can, such as: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnX0acWn-qBSQzgD9g1oWsxABrWaOI0QN

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Hello Clarabelle,

I don't know what the official HSK policy is, but my writing was very sloppy in this section of HSK 4, and yet I received a fair amount of credit.  I think if they had marked off for incorrectly written characters, then I would have received almost no credit.

• 7 months later...

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but as it asks pretty much exactly what I want to ask myself, I thought it'd be okay.

I'll be taking the computer based HSK 4 here in Suzhou in a week, and am currently preparing for it. So far I've finished 10 mock exams (all for the paper based version, but I assume the content is pretty much the same), and I'm consistently doing well in listening and reading but not so well on the second part of the writing section (“看图,用词造句”).

Each of the five word/picture pairs are worth eight points, so this there's potentially 40 points at stake here.

Most of the ones I get wrong have to do with a misplaced 了, a wrong measure word (typically I'll use 个 because I have no idea whether the word is supposed to be used with a different measure word), or wrong word order. (Luckily I am able to identify the mistakes and focus on them, as my Chinese wife goes over my answers once I'm finished.)

What I am wondering is: Are the answers black/white, wrong/right ? I.e., do you either get eight points or none for each question? Or is it possible to get a reduced score, say 5/8 for an otherwise flawless and fairly complex sentence where you used “个” instead of “本” with “书”, or omitted a “了”?