Chinese-Forums

Beyond the truth

nipponman

Is this show in standard mandarin? I thought it was, but I keep hearing things like yan2 not as

(phonetically) yen but as yan (like swan). Also, is there an expression 貌顏? If there is, than

it was pronounced as mou yan, instead of mao yan. If there is not, is there an expression with the pronunciation of mou yan? As always, any help would be appreciated,

nipponman

"Beyond the Truth" is a British television show investigating the paranormal. It aired in Hong Kong as 谜中谜.

"Beyond the Axis of the Truth" is an X-Files clone from 2001 that is shooting a second round of episodes this year. The actors appear to be from Singapore with a few random Taiwanese stars thrown in.

The best way to check, though, would be to look at the credits at the end, and then look up the production company and the stars. That should give you a good idea of where the accents are from.

If you can understand it without any difficulty, though, I'd say it's as standard mandarin as you'll find anywhere outside of 新闻联播.