Chinese-Forums

Two month gap between Z-visas, where to go?

LaoDing

I'm on a Z-visa now and my RP expires June 30. I'm negotiating a new position (same type visa, Z with Foreign Expert's) but presumably the contract will begin Sept. 1, or close to it. I'm pretty I could make a successful run to HK (twice!), but, for a two month gap, what kind of visa? 

It seems to me that many uni's these days are ending their contracts on June 30, giving us a two month gap if we want to continue the same line of work in a new place. I wonder- are there any short-term working visas available that could fill in the gap? How about a business visa?

I'd rather not go back to the U.S. if I don't have to. Thanks.

Summer schools would be an obvious choice, but it's often not the best work and I'm not sure how legit they are with visas. 

I'd take a holiday though. Hong Kong (doesn't have to be that expensive if you negotiate a longer-term stay at a guesthouse away from the centre), Taiwan, SE Asia - loads of options for a pleasant two month break.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roddy said:

Summer schools would be an obvious choice, but it's often not the best work and I'm not sure how legit they are with visas. 

I'd take a holiday though. Hong Kong (doesn't have to be that expensive if you negotiate a longer-term stay at a guesthouse away from the centre), Taiwan, SE Asia - loads of options for a pleasant two month break.

Thanks Roddy. I was also wondering if the stipulation that you must return to your home country or country of residence is still widely enforced. Has anybody else had experience with this? (U.S. citizen in my case).

Some may recall my journaling my daughter's successful change from a Family (M I believe) to an X1 student visa through HK last June.

Well, my two month gap is down to one. And just jumping on a plane to Sumatra isn't going to work because, to quote an update:

"I'm on a Z visa and in the process of switching schools and provinces (Henan to Guangdong). My RP expires 6/30 and my new contract begins 8/1. My FAO says I need sort of temporary visa, and she recommended a Humanitarian Stay. She also said I need to my Foreign Experts Certificate cancelled BY June (I guess that means the end of April). I'm not sure why this is. I also need a letter of release. All this is to keep from having to return to the U.S. (my home country) to start from scratch. I imagine then that my Z visa would be preserved.
I don't understand why I need to cancel my F.E.C. and why I can't just get a one-month extension on my R.P.
Any help would be appreciated."

Does anybody know of this 'Humanitarian visa?' It's called 人道主义停留签 in Chinese.

Not quite a visa but as the name indicates a temporary stay permit.

This sounds like the Chinese equivalent -- indeed, the Chinese translation -- of humanitarian parole under U.S. immigration law: essentially the authorities can override the technical requirements of the law and permit you to remain temporarily, even if you don't legally qualify, so long as there are sound equitable grounds for doing so. Parole is wholly discretionary and usually requires relatively senior approval. That is, it's not something you can count on, at least in the U.S.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how my new school wants me to do it (Humanitarian Stay). They don't want me to extend my work permit and they REALLY don't want me to leave the country. So I just hope I don't get booted out on the 皮皮虾 (yeah, sounds strange but what isn't strange about visa reassurances in China?).