Chinese-Forums

Materials for Children to Learn Chinese

jobm

I will be tutoring a seven-year-old child who has a zero background on Chinese.

I am wondering 1.what should I teach, 2. how should I teach him, and 3. what materials should I use.

I have taught Chinese before but my student was an adult (and I also learned the language during college), that's why I have little idea on how should I teach children a foreign language.

If you have any suggestions on some techniques that I should use, on how should I structure my tutorial sessions, what books should I read and use, they will be appreciated. :)

Thank you everyone! 请多多指教。

Take a look at www.purpleculture.org (or .net?). And also www.cypressbooks.com. 

Both sites have very new and very diverse learning systems and textbooks for kids. I have never taught anything to a kid, but I'm sure others will join in soon with better and more relevant suggestions.

Online you can find books written for kids, beside as a teaching style the "total physical response method" seems widely used with success for teaching kids. It may not be easy to use it without some guidance if you are new to it, anyway there are some articles online and you may find a few videos on youtube.

My recommendation will naturally be traditional characters and zhuyin, but this board is split on the former and hostile about the latter. Any materials from the Republic of China Overseas Community Affairs Council are ideal, and many are free in PDF form.

Also consider that kids have a short attention span so classes shouldn't be too long. You should be very active, make it funny, use colored materials and praise the kids when they get it right. Teaching kids isn't like teaching adults. I don't have experience with this myself, but my gf teaches English to kids and I've seen the way she works. I'm sure you'll do a good job even if you used to teach adults, anyway keep in mind these small things that may be useful for you.