Chinese-Forums

Non-native ESL teacher with British degree. Z-visa possible?

Raf

Hi,

I am an ESL teacher on Indian passport. A language school located in Zhejiang province hired me recently and are willing to sponsor me on a work visa. I am an MBA graduate from Staffordshire University in the UK and I have got ESOL B2 City&Guilds qualification which I was told that it is equivalent to TEFL. Never been to China before. Nearly a decade of stay in England gave me a natural flow on british accent. Lately, I read a lot about new visa policies, stringent rules and so on. My question is: Is there any restriction imposed by chinese gov on issuing Z visas to Non-Native Speakers? Or if it is only restricted in highly urbanised provinces/metropolis? Just curious since I have been gathering documents with high-level of hopes. Any reply would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers

On 10/03/2017 at 11:40 AM, Raf said:

Nearly a decade of stay in England gave me a natural flow on british accent.

This sentence is not good English. I would have expected a higher level of English after 10 years of studying. I might have said " Nearly a decade of living in England has given me a naturally flowing British accent" It is still not the best sentence in the world but I think I would understand it better if I was reading it as a prospective employer.

I think you probably can stop "gathering documents with high level of hopes" as you will find it very difficult to get a decent, legal job teaching English not being a native British person.

I know nothing about visas but I do know they prefer native English speakers, from all the topics I have read on these forums.

However if you don't try you won't know, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

@889 Yes I might have come across a bit strong, I wrangled for a day or two how to approach this. I guess I might have spent more time trying to explain it better but your sentence -

4 hours ago, 889 said:

Obviously you deal in English at a high level and can communicate very clearly. But there's a slip-up or two there and some awkward syntax that say you're not a native speaker, that's all

sums up what I was trying to say.

I wasn't trying to be mean. I was trying to work how to inform without being discouraging.

• Like 1

If the school thinks it can get you a Z visa, I'd assume they can. You want to get the working visa before you leave for China though - otherwise there's a risk they keep you working on a tourist visa for a month while they sort it out. And then three months. And then three more. 

Any regulations are flexible at the local level - if they're having trouble finding teachers then someone with a UK degree, a TEFL qualification and an extended stay in the UK would probably be quite a popular option. Do remember though that you're probably behind people with UK / Australian / US / etc. passports, and you might find you aren't at the best school or getting the top salary. That said, if you have an MBA and they want someone to teach business...

• Like 1

I agree with Shelley.

Let's not forget that a Z visa is a work visa that is not restricted to teaching English. You can have any other job and enter China on a Z visa. Citizens of any country can be issued a Z visa. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roddy said:

If the school thinks it can get you a Z visa, I'd assume they can. You want to get the working visa before you leave for China though - otherwise there's a risk they keep you working on a tourist visa for a month while they sort it out. And then three months. And then three more. 

Any regulations are flexible at the local level - if they're having trouble finding teachers then someone with a UK degree, a TEFL qualification and an extended stay in the UK would probably be quite a popular option. Do remember though that you're probably behind people with UK / Australian / US / etc. passports, and you might find you aren't at the best school or getting the top salary. That said, if you have an MBA and they want someone to teach business...

Many thanks for the time you dedicated to my question

BTW

This does not mean that you can teach English on a Z visa holding any passport.

I wanted to say that a Z visa can be given to citizens of any country because the visa is about working legally in China, you can be a scientist working in China on a Z visa. This visa is not only given to English teachers. You can, for example, work something related to what you learned at your MBA and be in China on a Z visa.

Do not equate a Z visa with teaching English. 

4 minutes ago, Angelina said:

I wanted to say that a Z visa can be given to citizens of any country because the visa is about working legally in China, you can be a scientist working in China on a Z visa. This visa is not only given to English teachers. You can, for example, work something related to what you learned at your MBA and be in China on a Z visa.

Do not equate a Z visa with teaching English.

I was very much aware of what Z visa or Chinese work visa means. I highly appreciate your concerned reply though. Thanks :)

• 1 year later...

Thought about posting separately, but anticipating similar responses so I'm piggy backing into here.

Have a non-native English speaking friend who did bachelor, master, PhD all in USA and speaks English very well. How are the chances these days for getting English teaching positions, as opposed to the PhD field, which is his priority (just curious about chances for entering the English field for those with a frickin' PhD worth of time abroad)?

My university has had several (foreign) English teachers who were not native English speakers. I do not think the government office in charge of issuing visas even checks for native fluency. I would imagine that if your English is good enough for you to be offered a job, that is good enough for the government office in charge of issuing visas.