Chinese-Forums

Visa's for School

Harvey

Hi everyone.

I'm sure this must have been summarized on here somewhere before, but I'm not finding the info I'm lookin for! IF available, please just point me there by throwing a link or something. Sorry to waste anyones time.

I just want to know what I need to do in order to get a visa to, for example apply for BNU. I haven't decided which school I will go to yet, but I'm sure the visa process is pretty much the same for all.

Any help appreciated.

- Harvey

Hi Harvey,

As I understand it, you can't get a visa for studying in China before applying to a school. You need a letter of invitation from a school to get a study visa. This is not the case if you just want a tourist visa.

Kailin

How much lead time should I anticipate for this?

If you apply by the application deadline for a school, and apply for the visa at the same time, will the visa usually be ready before your acceptance letter from the school comes back?

Or is it a good idea to apply to schools ridiculously early so you can get the visa process started?

I imagine that if you apply to a school super early, apply for visa... then change your mind about which school you will attend... the visa should still be good right?

Standard visa processing does not take long - about 4 working days in the US/ Canada - but call the embassy/ consulate to confirm processing times in Japan.

You need to have an admissions notice and a JW202/ JW201 form to even apply for a student visa. The school sends these to you when they accept you into their program.

I don't know whether switching schools affects a student visa; again I'd call the embassy/ consulate to ask. However, I feel it's better to research programs (as best you can) and settle on a school before applying for a visa rather than quickly applying just to get a visa, only to change your mind later to reapply to another school. I just don't like dealing with more bureaucracy than I have to :-?

Standard visa processing does not take long - about 4 working days in the US/ Canada - but call the embassy/ consulate to confirm processing times in Japan.

Hey thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check out how long it takes in Japan!

Sounds like it'll be short though, so no worries.