Chinese-Forums

The Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King

skylee

What a spectacular film. It is 3 hours and 20 minutes long, and not a dull moment (well, almost. I could do without the last 10 minutes.). If it isn't this long, I might consider watching it again.

The Chinese names of this series (HK version) are quite nice -

The Lord of the Rings - 魔戒首/二/三部曲

The Fellowship of the Ring - 魔戒現身

The Two Towers - 雙城奇謀

The Return of the King - 王者再臨

And in this latest film, those in Gondor light the beacon to transmit their call for military help all the way to faraway Rohan, just like ancient Chinese did on the Great Wall (this post is not that irrelevant, is it?). :P

• 2 weeks later...

Have watched the movie three times now, and bought the box sets of the first two parts (this is madness, I know).

I find the Chinese subtitles of the HK version are pretty good. I particularly like some of the translated names, like -

Weathertop = 風雲頂

Rohirrim = 驃騎人

Osgiliath (Citadel of Stars) = 星辰堡

Shadowfax (horse name) = 影疾

I think the Chinese translation of the movie in Hong Kong is consistent with the text translation by 朱學恆 (from Taiwan?).

So far the best Chinese translation are considered to be the Zhu's one.

• 2 months later...
Guest white_watcher86

well, they didn't speak Elvish (Quenya and Sindarin) all the way though. Rohanese (rendered by Anglo-Saxon), words of Entish, and the Black Speech were also used in addition to the Common Speech (rendered by Modern English).

actually i m not so interested in this kind of movies(i've watched all of The Lord of the Rings 1 2 3 though), i like the movies with great and creative concepts or unique styles, such as the matrix 1(only the 1, no 2,3), terminator...i dont like star wars series, X man, X file... either.

i like this kind of stuff:

Fight club 搏击俱乐部

U-turn不准掉头

Tainspotting 猜火车

Run lola run 疾走罗拉

lock,stock and two smoking barrels 两杆大烟枪

Snatch偷骗拐抢

Pulp fiction 低俗小说