Chinese-Forums

Help w/ Chinese names- Not for tattoos :)

Xiao Kui

I'm helping some friends who are planning to go to China next year get started with their Chinese and they want Chinese names: I have some in mind but want to make sure they're gender and otherwise appropriate (don't sound like a bad pun or have a bad alternate meaning, don't sound toooooooo foreign) and also wanted to hear other suggestions with similar sounds -doesn't have to be the exact same syllable but close(I've based the names on their Spanish names but don't want to list their real names w/o permssion). One thing is I'm trying to avoid characters with too many strokes since they're beginners.

females: 罗伟琦 Luo Wei Qi Family Name+Great+Fine Jade

欧琪达 Ou Qi Da Family Name+Fine Jade II +Arrive

(The names above actually use Ji instead of Qi but I couldn't find beautiful & meaningful characters with the Ji pinyin - open to suggestions.)

冯茉莉 Feng Mo Li Family Name+Jasmine

males: 敢大力 Gan Da Li Brave+Make a Great Effort

阿福德 A Fu De Family Name+Blessing+Virtue

Thanks for looking these over- don't worry we haven't tattooed them on -yet :)

-XK

I like the name 罗伟琦 Luo Weiqi, however the character 伟 is generally used for males. My Chinese nickname happens to be 伟伟 :) Perhaps a female "wei" such as 微?

欧琪达 Ou Qida is a pretty good name too, but again, 达 is usually used for males :) I can't seem to come up with a female alternative for this one :(

冯茉莉 Feng Moli is a good name, nothing to fix there :)

敢大力 Gan Dali in Chinese seems a little... how should I put this, "low-class"... not that there is anything really wrong with it, it's just that usually such "literal" names in Chinese tend to sound extra silly due to cultural reasons. :(

阿福德 A Fude, this name is very "Chinese"! lol This one is fine. :)