Learn Chinese in China
chrispalasz

Where can I rent a pipa near Chicago, IL, USA?

4 posts in this topic

My wife (mainland Chinese) and I are having our wedding ceremony this July near Chicago. Her younger sister plays the pipa, and we would really love to have her play a couple of songs in dedication. She has a pipa in China, but it would be troublesome to bring it all the way to Chicago for the wedding.

Can anyone help me find a place where I could rent/borrow a pipa for our ceremony at the end of July? I would be so grateful!

~Chris

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

You might try to connect up with a local Chinese language school in Chicago. You know how a lot of Chinese Americans are forced to study Chinese on Saturday or Sunday for a few hours? I used to take Chinese classes at one before I came back to China. You may find someone who knows someone with a pipa that you could rent from. 

Sometimes you find rare things on Craigslist too. 

Renting a pipa is kind of like trying to rent a wife. Probably cannot be done, and almost certainly not from a stranger. A store that sells musical instruments might have a "loaner," but even that is a long shot.

Probably best to just ask the younger sister to bring hers over from China on the plane, clumsy or not.

Have you thought of looking in eBay, or Amazon? Perhaps a used one wouldn't be too bad or too expensive.  Your wife might like it as a present, even learn to play later.