Chinese-Forums

origins of 刮目相看explained

chinesekitten

Hi everybody!

I have to do a presentation in Chinese and need to explain the origins of the idiom "刮目相看". The problem is that it should be really, really, really short like 30 or 40 seconds, so I tried to write down first, what I want to say and this is my first draft:

三国时,吴国有个将军叫吕蒙传。他家庭较穷,所以他都没念书,没有学识,人们也看不起他。有一天君王 (孙权)对他说:武艺高强(真会大战),但是你还要多读一些书才可以做好一军的统帅。

然后吕蒙努力地读书。几年以后另一位将军来看他,跟吕蒙议论后,就发现了他现在很有学识。吕蒙对这位将军说:士别三日,当刮目相看。

Actually I read through the baidu baike explaination of this story and I'm not really sure, how the other general came to the conclusion that Lü Meng now became a wise scholar, so I just wrote跟他议论后. Do you think this will be alright, since I don't really have much time to explain it anyway?

(Additional information:

If you have any suggestions for improving this short explaination or any other suggestion, please let me know. I'm really not sure about this whole thing and I'm afraid I didn't even catch the right meaning of this story. 

Thank you so much!!

His name is 吕蒙, not 吕蒙传. 传(zhuan4) means 'biography'.

真会大战: I guess you meant to say 很会打仗.

议论 as a verb needs an object or complement. Baidu baike used '纵论天下事', but it's a bit too literary. You can use 交谈, which is intransitive.

• Like 1