Chinese-Forums

Far East Everyday Chinese Vol. I

trusmis

Hello

I'll surely go to Taiwan to learn chinese for a few months. As it will be just 3 months I want to learn as much as possible in the less time possible. So this thread it's a good place to share your tricks learning chinese ;)

Where I want to study, they use the "Far East Everyday Book" series. I've searched for information but I haven't found anything interesting about these series.

If someone knows that book, can tell me if "Book I" is too easy for me.

I've finished pimsleaur 1 and I know the meaning of maybe 300 or 400 characters (I mean I can recognice when reading). My problem is that I only know how to pronounce around 30~50 characters. Also, I have 1 month more before going there to study.

Maybe is "Book I" just tones, pronounciation, numbers and the like. I already know so basic things.

But maybe not, and "Book II" is just too difficult for me ( I prefer to be in a more difficult level and don't understand a thing that get bored in an easy level).

any idea?

Hey,

I would say stick with first book, it moves along at a pretty decent pace, and it has a lot of important grammar patterns that you will absolutely need to know. Where are you going to study in Taiwan? You should be given a placement when you come anyways, to help gauge where your level is. IMO better to take a class thats a little easy, and study it well, then get your butt kicked on something too hard to grasp.

Company's information on the book,

http://eng.fareast.com.tw/engweb/products/chin_learn_series/cls_pro.php?series=01&bsn=83301

Best,

Keith

Thanks

I read that page but it didn't give me any valuable info. :-?

I want to go to Kaohsiung, WengZao University. I read about their courses and it seems ok. Anyways, I only go for 3 months and I don't know anything about Taiwan so it seems as good as somewhere else. :conf

I'd disagree. I guess its rather individual about those easy and/or hard to grasp studies. Some prefer to be the stupidest person in class to feel forced to improve, rather than to be the best without any effort. But if it's ShiDa (taiwan normal university) language center, they'll have a placement test and anyway there will be at least a week during witch students can try out different level classes. The good thing about ShiDa is that one term is only 3 months, so jumping up levels is easier and can be done more often.

The problem with Shida is that the deadline for application forms was 31st july. So it's a bit late for me. Anyways, I'll try to go again to Taiwan, so I'll have an opportunity to go to Shida.

It's a pity I found this forum so late ...

As you said, I do prefer to feel like stupid and push myself. I'm pretty lazy, if I don't feel pressure everywhere I won't study :wink:

Now the other question:

I think that being in a place where everyone talks in chinese will be very good to improve my oral chinese, so I'll focus on it.

Grammar and vocabulary and find someone to talk with.

I think that hanzi, reading, writting are more suitable for self-study (so I don't need to use time in Taiwan for that).

Maybe my opinion is just biased by the good effects of pimsleur method.

Surely you have more experience about studing there.