Chinese-Forums

LG V20 smartphone in Tianjin

Sonny Foxx

• New Members

New to this site.  I'm having the devil of a time determining whether the new LG V20 smartphone will work in China (on say the Unicom network).  I'll shortly be moving to Tianjin and would like to know if my phone will work there.  I'd appreciate any help in finding out. Thanks.

Like most phones, the V20 is sold with different specifications in different markets. Often the box shows what bands the phone works on, but the phone itself does not. Sometimes there's a sub-model number on the phone itself and you can work back with that from charts like this:

https://www.techwalls.com/lg-v20-model-numbers-differences/

And sometimes the only way to know if your phone will work on a given network is just to borrow someone's SIM card and try.

• New Members

Thanks for the reply.  The phone I have is the US996 unlocked version. And this webiste:

https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/JyaWTA/lg-us996-v20-lte-a/china-unicom-china

says that, in terms of frequency bands, it's (mostly) compatible with Unicom.  But will Unicom actually accept the phone on their network?  That's the question.  I'm currently in America, about to move to China for at least a year.  I don't want to get their and find out that my nice (and expensive) V20 (US996) won't work.  Hence the query.  Hoping someone here who lives in China has one and can confirm (or deny) that it'll work.  Thanks.

• New Members

Thanks, 艾墨本, for the website!   They certainly have a boatload of listed devices.  On the other hand, the LG V20 is LG's flagship phone, and has been out now since last October.  The fact that the site doesn't even have the base name  "V20" listed (let alone the regional and carrier variants) is disappointing. Something tells me it won't be appearing on their site in the time frame in which I need to know.  But I'll check back in a few weeks anyway.

I'm still hoping that somebody on this site might (1) live/work in China and (2) have the US996 variant and can verify that it works there.  Again, thanks for your help!