Chinese-Forums

Road to Success Chinese Textbook from China vs A course in Contemporary Chinese from Taiwan

Anthony P.

• New Members

Hi Everyone,

I am studying Chinese but I have two choices for choosing the right textbooks whether (Road to Success) which varies from beginning to advanced or (a course in contemporary Chinese 1-4) new textbook from Taiwan.

Which one do you think it is more practical and useful?

Anthony, I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait for more detailed advice from people who have actually seen or used one or both of the series you mentioned. You probably should put more weight on the opinions of those who have used them. As I haven't yet seen either one, I can't give you any realistic or useful advice on which to use.

However, I think you first have to make a decision on whether you want to begin your studies with simplified or traditional characters. I personally see no inherent advantage in either, but others will soon give you their opinions, and will explain why they feel their choice is valid. However, if you have plans to study, work, or live in either mainland China, or Taiwan, a good part of your decision is made already. The book from the mainland will use simplified, and those from Taiwan will use traditional. 

It might be a good idea to start by giving everyone some background information on your plans for studying Chinese.

TBZ