Chinese-Forums

Xiamen, anybody studied mandarin at Jimei or Huaqiao universities?

aless

Hi,

apologies for posting here, for some reason I don't have the option to create a new post in the forum dedicated to universities.

I was in Xiamen last here on a tourist visa and studied at a private school for around three months. I am quite happy with what I learned having no previous knowledge of chinese.

I'm currently in Taiwan attending a private school, easier for visa, but I'm really making a mess between simplified and traditional characters.

I would like to go back to Xiamen to study for a semester, 厦大 university tuition fees are expensive, so I was thinking about Jimei university. There isn't much information on their website, or on the internet, for that matter, not even how many hours per day, so I'd like to hear from someone who studied mandarin there.

I'd like to start the semester in September, by then I might be nearing intermediate level. I have no interest at all in passing any HSK exam, just want to learn to read, write, and of course speak.

How's the workload outside of class?  I'm working (as a translator) mon-fri, so I don't have much time to dedicate to homeworks during the week.

Also, what's the average age of the mandarin language students? Let's say I've finished my university studies more than a decade ago.

Thanks for any info,

Alessandro

Edited by aless

Hey,

I was actually also looking for information about universities in Xiamen, other than Xiamen university, for two reasons : the tuition fees, as you said, and the location of the campus which is not near the city center.
So there are two other universities which are Jimei and Huaqiao (if you could add Huaqiao in your title, that would be great so we might have more info :D ).
The problem is that the website of those universities is either crap or doesnt work. If I got the right websites, here they are :

-  http://english.jmu.edu.cn/  This website looks so bad and gives zero information, right ?

http://en.hqu.edu.cn/  This website looks great but... there is no information, or it doesnt work, I dont know.

So I have tried the chinese version of Huaqiao with my poor chinese level, and here is what I found :

http://hwxy.hqu.edu.cn/zsb/zszt.htm And this links gives us two links in english where there is information about studying chinese. It seems that Jimei and Huaqiao have some kind of partnership. On this link particularly http://hwxy.hqu.edu.cn/info/1036/1202.htm you can find more information. But I am not clear on many things, like can we enroll in September with a HSK 3 level (which means I studied only one semester before) or do we have to take a full year ? Many questions like this, + I dont know where the campus is located exactly, Ive never been to Xiamen.

Anyway, it's blur in my mind so if someone has experience about studying in Huaqiao or Jimei, please help us :D

Hi Kherith,

Thanks for the links, I actually had found this link about Jimei University: 

http://www.admissions.cn/jmu/en5.html

where there is some information on tuition fees, still not clear how much a semester would be though, one year, if the price is up to date, would be 13500 yuan, which would be ok for me, also, no information on how many classes per day. 

As a requirement for applications they also list a graduation certificate of junior high school or above, which I don't have with me here in Taiwan, it seems a bit strange, but anyway, it's not in English either, would they also need a translation of the certificate in English? 

The campus for both universities, if the addresses they list are current, is in Jimei district, just North of Xiamen island, across the bridge, I've been, the area is very nice, although going to downtown Xiamen would take around 45 mins to one hour by bus. I attached a couple of screenshots of Google maps, although for China Baidu maps is a lot better.

In case you are interested, a private school in Xiamen for a group class, 40h/month, would run around 2400 yuan, comparable to what 厦大 would cost. They don't provide student visas, but they can arrange F-visas for a maximum of six months.

For language courses I don't think there is any HSK requirement, they just assign you to a group according to your level of chinese. If you want to enroll in a university course that is taught in chinese, then there are HSK level requirements, or you'll have to demonstrate you are able to follow the classes.

I'll post back if I have more info.

Edit: don't bother trying to send an email to the address that appears in the link above, already tried and got the usual Mail delivery failure, which confirms what I already knew, e-mails are useless in China, you've got to call, or use WeChat...:D

Screenshot_2017-05-30-12-35-43.png

Screenshot_2017-05-30-12-36-05.png

Edited by aless